Recent content by NancyL

1. NancyL

Amazon series: Season 2 reactions to news and rumours. (Spoiler alert!)

re: Shelob cameo, to be fair there was a Balrog cameo in S1. ;)
  2. NancyL

Elwing's and general half-elven developmental patterns

IIRC, all the half-elven start as elves and have to choose human. It's the best of both worlds really. You live as an elf until you get bored/tired and then switch to human to bail out on the amazingly tedious millennia the rest of the elves are bound to.
  3. NancyL

Christmas Adaptations Recommendation

This might be a stretch, but there was a book published at the same time it premiered: A Miracle on 34th Street. It's been done/redone five times.
  4. NancyL

Till We Have Faces - Ugliness

I'm a little behind in listening, but the whole issue of whether Psyche's husband is ugly as a reason for hiding in darkness seems spectacularly silly. If anyone would love an ugly person, it would be Psyche. The fact that this blazingly obvious fact occurs neither to her sister or her guard...
  5. NancyL

Can we have a forum section for Le Mort d'Arthur?

Re-listening to Malory, a couple thoughts impinged: 1. Re: Arthur's sleeping with his sister and making God angry. Malory is very careful when describing Morgause's visit to include the fact she brought her FOUR sons. I was thinking that may be a comment on her freedom to explore some...
  6. NancyL

Finally got around to reading/watching Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell. What a delightful...

Finally got around to reading/watching Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell. What a delightful experience!
  7. NancyL

Alice - All in the Golden Afternoon

I had a version of the soup song on a children's record (no memory unfortunately of the cover or who produced it) but I recall that the performer put in multiple beats per vowel in order to make it fit. The annotated Alice says that performers frequently "sob" their way through the song to...
  8. NancyL

Empire Photos

I'd like to submit a different interpretation of the dwarf photo ... I believe it is more likely a banquet scene. The reason Durin doesn't have a goblet in front of him is that it would be placed to our left (out of frame) on the other side of the platter of food. Also thrones don't generally...
  9. NancyL

Alice - All in the Golden Afternoon

I also thought about that pun, but in addition I also felt that the use of two syllable words "little" where otherwise the poem uses one gives those lines a sort of lilting, patter of tiny feet sort of feel. Very whimsical.
  10. NancyL

Script Discussion: S06E02

Nicholas, I know that's what the Exec's chose: hence my questioning whether it matters. However, during their discussion Manwe was never mentioned as an option and that struck me as an oversight on their parts. That's the only reason I mentioned it. Cheers!
  11. NancyL

Script Discussion: S06E02

I don't know if it matters at this point, but Thuringwethil really ought to be Manwe's maia. She's all about the information gathering after all. Her fall is all about not caring anymore who gets hurt by her information gathering/spying. Sauron's motivation for getting rid of her is probably...
  12. NancyL

Other Minds and Hands, Episode 1

Corey, please ask your guest in Session 6 (if she is going to guest again) to drop the "Neo-Nazi" term when referring to people who disagree with her. If she must characterize "the opposition" could she please use a non-pejorative term. Other than that, she was illuminating. Thank you.
  13. NancyL

Favorite children's book poetry

Pretty much anything by Ogden Nash, esp. The Tale of Custard the Dragon.
  14. NancyL

Despite JRRT's extensive explanation, Manwë is still a putz

I listened and agree with everything Professor Corey/JRRT said about freeing and forgiving Melkor. But that entire discussion failed to address the oliphaunt in the room: all the other people Manwë is supposed to be king of. If he has a responsibility to be lawful/fair/forgiving to Melkor...
  15. NancyL

Elves doing math and counting in base 12

Something I recently submitted to the Miscellany section...
Back