Recent content by Philip

1. Philip

Maimed Maedhros

What if he had some sort of unobtrusive metal plate fastened into or around his forearm/wrist, and have various tools (knives, shields, hooks, elven screwdrivers, etc.) or decorative panels that could fasten securely onto the plate, but be easily exchanged for other tools depending on what he is...
  2. Philip

When in doubt, go find a hill to climb... maybe.

I have been catching up on some recent classes, and noticed that in both Episode 82 and 83 we see two more instances (one alone and one with Merry) where Strider seeks higher elevation during times of uncertainty. I remember how we had talked back at Weathertop about his tendency to do so, and...
  3. Philip

Strider's Personality Crisis

So we've talked a lot about how odd Strider seems to be acting in these chapters; trying to reconcile the things that Strider says and does here with his character Aragorn as revealed later on in the story. The suggestions that he is trying to test and/or teach the hobbits and see if they will...
  4. Philip

Bob of the Prancing Pony

For most writers (indeed, nearly all), the mere fact that two names which they had created happen to rhyme with one another would be piteously weak evidence for proving the kinship of the two characters possessing those names; but I think we nearly can all agree that J. R. R. Tolkien would be...
Back