Recent content by SilberFaust

1. S

Not wholly vain

I stopped following the class somewhere along the Council of Elrond, and recently started again from the beginning. In lesson 6 you talk about Gandalf's very minor compliment to Gil-galad and Elendil in calling their deeds 'not wholly vain'. I had a thought that Gandalf did not mean to say their...
  2. S

Saruman's ring induced monolog

In the last session it was said Saruman did not call the Ring "precious", but he does: "For I have many eyes in my service, and I believe that you know where this precious thing now lies."
  3. S

"he seemed to be clad in elven mail"

Is it possible (according to the mysterious laws of the english language, which I'll I never fully understand) that Aragorn wore this elven-mail all the way from Bree, but only now frodo notices it because he threw his cloak back? That was always my understanding.
  4. S

Few things about the Earendil poem

But the question in the class was why would Bilbo suddenly remind us it was 'in Elder Days in years of yore' in the middle of the poem. (Actually it is almost the end, but still does not seem like a proper place. He could say in the beginning, in all the Mighty-Earendil-Description it was a very...
  5. S

Death of Eowyn and Aragorn Dying alone

I listened now to the last episode of Treason of Isengard and heard the angry reaction to this idea. However, I think it can fit. The kingship of Gondor is not yet established as the inheritance of the line of Elendil. Elendil's job was to overthrow Sauron, and now Aragorn finished the job. I...
  6. S

Few things about the Earendil poem

There was a question what does "in years of yore" means. I thought about it: At first Earendil did not have a home. He just `tarried` in Arvernien. After he came to West he tarried there, and it was to him, apperantly, just as Arvenien. Someone asked if time stopped. I don't think it did, but I...
Back