Recent content by Starfriend

1. Starfriend

Why speculate about disembodied Nazgul occluding the stars when a Nazgul on a Fell Beast is a better supposition?

I agree on you that the shadow was a Nazgul riding Fell Beast, mainly because I'm not convinced that Nazgul can't fly without their mounts, bodied or unbodied. They are still men, and like Balrogs humans have no wings. I disagree on the Crebain, they live near Saruman and their use as spies...
  2. Starfriend

The most Kalevala thing in the Lord of the Rings

I think that the lament of the stones in Eregion must be the most Kalevala thing in the Lord of the Rings. It's a sort of mirrored image of the lament of a birch tree in the poem 44 of Kalevala. In the poem the Väinämöinen searches the first kantele made of a jawbone of a giant pike which fell...
  3. Starfriend

In defence of Galdor

I'm not aware of any writings of Tolkien which goes into the details of the Straight road. In the end of Silmarillion it is said that building of the ship seen in the last chapter of the Return of the King took a long time, and that it was ready long before Círdan set sail on it. But again, I...
  4. Starfriend

In defence of Galdor

It is mostly a gut reaction on my part. If I read a story where the Council decided to send the Ring to the capital W West on a normal ship, it just wouldn’t feel sufficiently mythic, however elvish the "normal ship" might be.
  5. Starfriend

In defence of Galdor

I don’t think that the analysis of Galdors words during the last two classes hit the mark. It is true that Elrond could send the Ring to the Havens faster than Sauron could react, but in my mind that is only the easy part of plan Sea. The hard part is setting sail with the Ring on board and...
  6. Starfriend

On Gollum

I’m not completely satisfied with the analysis done in session 155. The conclusion was that the reason why Gollum was put under the spell of the very deep, but not quite bottomless dread and released from Barad-dûr so that he might go to search for the Ring. I’m not fond of the idea that Sauron...
Back