Iluvatar's Theme

Phillip Menzies

Staff member
Let's continue our discussion about Iluvatar's theme here and get into specifics.
One piece of music that inspired me when I suggested Iluvatar's theme should consist of one note was this scene from The Fellowship of the Ring. It is in the breaking of the fellowship and the piece of music starts when Gandalf starts to talk, very softly at first you can hear the one note which is then joined by other instrument, but the one note is held until the "Hobbit's Understanding" theme takes over. I actually take this as being a very "Iluvatar" moment in the way it is depicted on screen.

In light of the discussion by Corey in the music session for season 1 about Iluvatar's theme/note I feel that we should stick to just one note for Iluvatar. This can be one occasion where there is a place for nondescript Marvel Universe type music that gets across a feeling rather than a specific musical tune overlain by Iluvatar's note. The beauty of it being just one note is that it can also overlay any music throughout the whole project.

In light of the discussion by Corey in the music session for season 1 about Iluvatar's theme/note I feel that we should stick to just one note for Iluvatar. This can be one occasion where there is a place for nondescript Marvel Universe type music that gets across a feeling rather than a specific musical tune overlain by Iluvatar's note. The beauty of it being just one note is that it can also overlay any music throughout the whole project.
Wow... I mean, I like the idea in theory, but literally choosing the "God note"? Wow...

Back