MythMoot MERP (Middle Earth Roleplaying Game)

Nicholas Palazzo

As you folks may recall, I had thought some time ago that it might be fun to run an after-hours MERP game at Mythmoot. Given how busy the conference will be, I will be limiting this to a single session, perhaps a second if you guys really want it.

A warning, however: official MythMoot activities have the days of the conference quite packed. The session will likely run two-three hours, so if late nights are not your thing, you probably won't have as much fun as would be hoped.

If you are interested in participating, please feel free to post here or message me through the forums, or whatever method you see fit. Please do not allow a lack of experiencc in this sort of thing prevent you from giving it a try. I will do my best to make it as easy as possible for you.

So... yeah, Mr. Josh Ramsey has convinced me, quite correctly, to run the tabletop adventure I had planned for Mythmoot in the "Adventures in Middle Earth" system. I'm looking forward to it! The adventure will be set in the Breelands in the time period between The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings (if only to give anyone who wants to play a hobbit the opportunity to do so). If you are interested in joining in, do leave a comment down below or contact me by whatever method you would prefer.

So far, we have a Ranger, a Dwarf, and a Rohirrim Warrior!

I failed to get any people together, and on top of it, I was exhausted.

I think I slept a total of 10 hours the whole weekend.

Back in the 80s, I think I only got to play maybe two sessions of MERP. Always wanted to play more. But someone gave me some MERP stuff a year ago. Now if only I was a GM...

Absolutely! While I definitely would say that The One Ring or Adventures in Middle-earth are much stronger at using the mechanics to promote the feeling of exploring Middle-earth, I have massive respect for MERP and the work that Pete Fenlon* and the crew did back in the day.

And, yes, all it takes to GM is to commit to trying it out... you won't have all the answers, but you will figure things out along the way and hopefully have a ton of fun doing it.

— • —

* I was so jealous of my boss, who met Pete at Gen Con this year. I was busy running demos so I wasn't at the booth when he came by. A missed opportunity... :(

Absolutely! While I definitely would say that The One Ring or Adventures in Middle-earth are much stronger at using the mechanics to promote the feeling of exploring Middle-earth, I have massive respect for MERP and the work that Pete Fenlon* and the crew did back in the day.

And, yes, all it takes to GM is to commit to trying it out... you won't have all the answers, but you will figure things out along the way and hopefully have a ton of fun doing it.

— • —

* I was so jealous of my boss, who met Pete at Gen Con this year. I was busy running demos so I wasn't at the booth when he came by. A missed opportunity... :(

The one thing I like about MERP for a one-shot is how hilariously dangerous the critical and fumble tables are.

MERP has a very dangerous combat System... but in all MERP and RM were too complicated for me, i always preferred simple kept storytelling oriented gaming, but i loved most of the MERP Books! And they had so great illustration, cover Art and awesome Game maps!

Yeah, MERP is pretty complicated. I try not to subscribe to the rules/story dichotomy too much, myself though. For example, you can do just as much storytelling in GURPS as you can in FATE. How much story there is depends a lot more on the GM/player group combination than the ruleset.

Merp had lots of fun details and most of the time good settings... Of course you always had to flesh it out a lot, but it always gave me so plenty of stuff to work with. So much more than most other gamebooks i knew..

Back