Time spent wearing the ring (Future - a long way)

amysrevenge

Those who have worn the ring, in order ranked by length of time spent actually wearing the Ring of Power (ie. not just carrying or possessing it - having it actually on a finger).

1. Sauron, duh
2. Smeagol/Gollum
3. Bilbo
4. Samwise
5. Frodo
6. Isildur
7. Bombadil

I reckon Sam spent longer with the Ring on around Cirith Ungol than all of Frodo's episodes combined.

It's possible that Isildur belongs higher up, but I suspect not.

Also, if you split Smeagol/Gollum into Smeagol and Gollum, I bet Bilbo would be behind Smeagol but ahead of Gollum. I don't think Smeagol spends long periods with it on once he's become Gollum, but I bet he did days/weeks in a stretch in the early days (as Bilbo does in the Elf King's hall).

Anyway it's just something I was thinking of, watching the movie where Sam gives it back to Frodo in Cirith Ungol, after carrying it but not wearing it at all in the film.

When exactly did Frodo wear the Ring? Here's what remember without digging through the text:

-Briefly in Bombadil's house
-Briefly again in Bree
-Weathertop incident
-Twice at the Breaking of the Fellowship
-Does he put it on when he claims it at the Cracks of Doom?

Are there any others I'm missing?

Bruce

Bruce, he does put it on when he claimed it. The time at the breaking of the Fellowship, he wore it relatively a long time - a couple hours, conceivably.

I believe Galadrial says he had put in on 3 times since knowing what it was... Therefore, he may have worn it when he thought it was just a magic invisibility ring, despite Gandalf's suggestion to not. But we're not told.

Back