The Cow Jumped Over the Moon

Love it!

Do you have sheet music or a MIDI file available? Obviously, I'm thinking of an arrangement for playing in LOTRO, perhaps with lute (rhythm), clarinet (carrying the melody), theorbo (bass), and drums (because somebody has to bang on the table)... and maybe the fiddle when it becomes available.

I don't have a midi file and have not committed this to sheet music, but let me see if I can come up with an arrangement. It might take me a few weeks but it will be a fun next exercise!

Well done! Not a easy song to sing, while not a jaw cracker as Sam would say, it is for sure a tongue tripper!

Thanks! It’s a long one so I basically did it as fast as I could to keep it within reasonable listening length. If I practiced it more I think I could go a bit faster, but then it really would be a jaw cracker!

Ask and you shall receive, sometimes sooner than even I think.

Sheet music (Bb Clarinet, Lute, Theorbo, Bodran): https://drive.google.com/file/d/1iVVV-NYlGKBytkH65mbJoKQxZuDMSZuO/view?usp=sharing
MIDI file: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1mXnjfe4LLWx6uZv3PZuEZzDa67yyp0ZO/view?usp=sharing

Let me know if you run into any trouble, and where/when I should look for you playing it before the next class!

Love it!

Do you have sheet music or a MIDI file available? Obviously, I'm thinking of an arrangement for playing in LOTRO, perhaps with lute (rhythm), clarinet (carrying the melody), theorbo (bass), and drums (because somebody has to bang on the table)... and maybe the fiddle when it becomes available.

Hooray! Oh thank you!

This is fabulous! You made it so easy, Steve. The only adjustment I had to make was to lower the key 3 steps (in Maestro) to get the high notes within range of the LOTRO clarinet. Otherwise it was just a matter of assigning the instruments, filling in the names of the lyricist and composer (J R R Tolkien / Steve Renard), and exporting the ABC file. I used the filenaming convention from the Lonely Mountain Band songbook. The 4 at the beginning means 4 parts, my name in parentheses because I'm the one who has the Maestro file, and then the squooshed song name to keep it reasonably short and free of funny escape characters

I put the .abc file in Crystal's LOTRO directory on my web server, here:

http://crystal.pearlsims.com/LOTRO/abcmusic/4-(Harnuth)ANurseryRhymeUndone.abc

Right-click on that link and Save Target As... to download the abc file. The server might want to deliver it as .html. Just change that to .abc and filetype "All Files."

You can get the lyrics from your Kindle copy of the Lord of the Rings and load them into the Lyrical or Poetical plugin. :)

We haven't tried it in-world yet, but it sounds really nice in Maestro and ABC Player.

If anyone would like to learn how to play music in LOTRO, these notes pilfered from the Lonely Mountain Band on Landroval might be helpful.
Using Songbook to Sync music:
If you'd like to learn how to sync music with a band, Eilye has written a very informative guide explaining how to use the Songbook Plugin!
http://lonelymountainband.guildlaunch.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10492542

Episode 2...

We tried it out in-world and I sounds really good! The number of verses in the music perfectly synchs with Tolkien's version of The Man in the Moon Stayed Up Too Late in the Fellowship of the Ring.

I was reluctant to post all the lyrics, but then it dawned on me that anyone reading this forum almost certainly has already purchased the book, and for most of us, several copies. That makes my copyright qualms rather moot, don't you think?

So, if you want to be able to recite the lyrics in-world, you might find this file to be useful: http://crystal.pearlsims.com/LOTRO/abcmusic/ANurseryRhymeUndone.txt

Just open that text file on the web, copy the text, and paste it into the LOTRO Lyrical or Poetical plugin; or into something like Notepad if you want to tweak the presentation of the lyrics. It's a fast-paced tavern kinda song so you need to be clicking out the lines quite rapidly. I like to get the line out just before the music plays it, so that folks who are singing along at their computers can read the lyrics as they sing. (I know that Crystal often does this, singing to her boys who are reading along on her computer screen.)

My pleasure!

I went back and forth a few times on this, from originally composing the tune and setting some of the lyrics in MuseScore, to doing my own rough recording in GarageBand, and then back into MuseScore to set the full lyrics (with matching rhythms - that was the tricky part). From there, MuseScore exported the midi file and sheet music. I'm glad it worked well for you and I will post additional songs I've been working on from other parts of the story. I have a rather mournful and low-pitched setting of the song Gimli sings in Moria that's best suited to a Gregorian chant chorus in a cathedral, I suspect, but I am also working on others that will make more appropriate pub music, I hope! ;)

Hooray! Oh thank you!

This is fabulous! You made it so easy, Steve. The only adjustment I had to make was to lower the key 3 steps (in Maestro) to get the high notes within range of the LOTRO clarinet. Otherwise it was just a matter of assigning the instruments, filling in the names of the lyricist and composer (J R R Tolkien / Steve Renard), and exporting the ABC file. I used the filenaming convention from the Lonely Mountain Band songbook. The 4 at the beginning means 4 parts, my name in parentheses because I'm the one who has the Maestro file, and then the squooshed song name to keep it reasonably short and free of funny escape characters

I put the .abc file in Crystal's LOTRO directory on my web server, here:

http://crystal.pearlsims.com/LOTRO/abcmusic/4-(Harnuth)ANurseryRhymeUndone.abc

Right-click on that link and Save Target As... to download the abc file. The server might want to deliver it as .html. Just change that to .abc and filetype "All Files."

You can get the lyrics from your Kindle copy of the Lord of the Rings and load them into the Lyrical or Poetical plugin. :)

We haven't tried it in-world yet, but it sounds really nice in Maestro and ABC Player.

If anyone would like to learn how to play music in LOTRO, these notes pilfered from the Lonely Mountain Band on Landroval might be helpful.
Using Songbook to Sync music:
If you'd like to learn how to sync music with a band, Eilye has written a very informative guide explaining how to use the Songbook Plugin!
http://lonelymountainband.guildlaunch.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=10492542

I should add the one I'm most looking forward to is a bluegrass setting of "Troll Sat Alone (on his seat of stone)". That one is just starting to come together. :p

I will post additional songs I've been working on from other parts of the story.
Somewhere on the order of 35 years ago, a local weekly radio show had a "music inspired by Tolkien" episode. Mostly unmemorable. But one song has stuck with me ever since: Sam's "Gil-Galad was an Elven king", sung acapella by a single tenor voice. I'm pretty sure he used a traditional tune, but I've never found the original, and though I remember the tune and can still sing it, I do not remember who the performer was so I've never heard it again.

So I just now googled for it. This is very similar!
It is not exactly the same. I'm sure this is a local variant of the same traditional tune, but I like the one I heard long ago much better.

I also found
I like the beginning of this original composition very much too, but it soon loses the simplicity that gives it its charm. They overdid it.

Thank you for posting Jim. To be honest I've sort of been avoiding listening to others' settings of Tolkien's poetry, lest I become overly influenced by what they've brought to the table, so I only listened to a little bit of each of these, but it's cool you came across them. I hope you have luck finding the one you remember, or (if you recall the tune, as you say) that you can post it here for consideration along with the others! If you'd prefer, please get in touch with me directly, and I'll be happy to take the tune you remember and record it. My range is more baritone than tenor, but I should be able to handle it.

Somewhere on the order of 35 years ago, a local weekly radio show had a "music inspired by Tolkien" episode. Mostly unmemorable. But one song has stuck with me ever since: Sam's "Gil-Galad was an Elven king", sung acapella by a single tenor voice. I'm pretty sure he used a traditional tune, but I've never found the original, and though I remember the tune and can still sing it, I do not remember who the performer was so I've never heard it again.

So I just now googled for it. This is very similar!
It is not exactly the same. I'm sure this is a local variant of the same traditional tune, but I like the one I heard long ago much better.
The audio on this one is Bill Nighy playing Samwise in the BBC Radio Series which I recognise since I have just recently listened to it on archive.org. The composer was Stephen Oliver.

The audio on this one is Bill Nighy playing Samwise in the BBC Radio Series which I recognise since I have just recently listened to it on archive.org. The composer was Stephen Oliver.
Ah, thanks! The 1981 is just about right, too.

I remember that radio series (which I heard. . . on the radio), but I don't remember the song from it. I recall it as a "good parts" version of the story, seriously abridged and jumping straight from one scene to another without any continuity (which bothered me a bit). But good, anyway. Now that its on archive.org, I can listen again! Though I already have trouble keeping up with Prof. Olsen's podcasts. . .

Back