The sound of songs in Tolkien's mind

SteveR

This post looks both ahead and behind, and was spurred by the discussion in the last session where Corey suggested that The Fall of Gil-galad translated entirely in rigid iambs would get stale pretty quick.

For obvious reasons, I have thought a lot about what some of these songs and poems sound like - what they sound like to me, and what Tolkien might have been imagining when he wrong them. Even accounting for changes to people's attention spans over time, I can't imagine that anyone wouldn't be bored if the entirety of the Lay of Leithian or Ëarendil was a Mariner were sung to the same melody over and over and over from beginning to end. Like those school-room iambs, that melody is gonna get stale.

So is there any evidence out there for how Tolkien thought these would sound, as songs? I have found one recording of him actually semi-singing a song he wrote (the Troll Song that Sam sings, which I'm very excited for us to get to, as I have rather a different take on it, and Tolkien doesn't sing so much as recite beat poetry ;)). Other than that, he simply reads the poem. This is the case even when the text describes a character singing or "chanting", a word which to my mind bears a sense of musicality. In particular here I'm thinking of the Lay of Leithian, where in the recording I found Tolkien reads "he began not to speak but to chant softly..." before carrying on speaking the poem. The text also refers to Bilbo "chanting" when he recites Ëarendil was a Mariner. I will admit I have not looked closely at songs, or the text around them, beyond the party reaching Rivendell.

One reasonably modern idea for how I think these longer songs might have worked would be something like Gordon Lightfoot's Great Canadian Railroad Trilogy, where a lot of the poem is similar in meter and structure, but the melody and feel of the song really changes with each section. It's well worth the seven minutes to check out Lightfoot performing it live here:
. (And then pull up Ëarendil was a Mariner and sing the first stanza along with the first verse from Lightfoot - you'll have to add a syllable here and there compared to GCRT, but it works awfully well ;))

Do you, Corey, or others in the class agree that these longer songs would likely vary pretty widely over the course of them, or am I taking a hasty 21st century view of this?

Just to give a counter example, the original American Pie is a long (8+ minutes) narrative song that keeps the same melody throughout, just with a little bit of tempo changes (slower in the first and last verses, faster in the middle), but IMO the 'same-ness' doesn't get boring. But most songs do have to put in some sort of change - even if it's something like an instrumental bridge - to break things up.

Bruce

Not sure how I did not find those before, but thank you Haerangil! It strikes me that Tolkien tends to sing much like a Catholic priest will occasionally sing a few lines of the liturgy, and that it does, in fact, become quite repetitive in that sense, so maybe I'm looking in the wrong direction. Is there any evidence outside of recordings of the man himself that might suggest how he thought of these songs, particularly the longer ones? I mean, even just a few stanzas of what we get of the Lay of Leithian in LOTR would get rather tiresome, I think, if they all followed exactly the same musical structure, but even what we get in the book is only an excerpt from the longer poem. Calling it a "lay" suggests that it is to be sung in the tradition of the Gallic/Germanic "lai", a form of romantic song-poetry from the 13th and 14th centuries (if wikipedia is to be believed). I'm not familiar with the "lai" form myself, so I will look into it further and see what I can make of it.

He mentioned british folksongs and gregorian chants in one of his letters i believe... i also think both, the traditional folk element, and the classic poetry/ religious chant reflect in his style of writing songs/poems. I mean... when his dwarves and hobbits or wood-elves sing they come along like merry ( and maybe slightly drunk) rural brits...

His high elves and longbeards seem to appear more spiritual, mythical, in a way more courtious maybe, i mean listen to some medieval minstrel and trouvere reconstructions and you see what i mean.

But anyway that is just my opinion...

Last edited:
Another fun thing maybe... he does mention several music instruments in his text...

So maybe from that we could draw conclusions?

Roma , romba- horn, trumpet, loud sound
Alapumba - drum
nandelle - little harp
Nande, gannel, tantilla - harp (illa suggest a small instrument)
Kalon - large bell
kantl - large harp
,likinda - trumpet (likin suggests a curled horn)
nell, nyelle, kilin - bell (nelladel, ringing of bells, suggests many bells)
Kilinke - small bell (kilintya suggests ring, tinkle)
Tifin - small flute (tif suggests whistle)
Qintl -lyre
Salaqine, salaqintl -noun. violin, violin, (lit.) thrumsqueak-er
Quingi -twang, strings of harp, harp
Rotse - pipe, tube
Simpa, simpina - pipe flute ( ina suggests a small instrument)
Salma -lyre, small harp
Salqin - viol, viola
Salum - harp
Tanta,tantila- harp (tanta sugessts double)
Tombo - gong
tontl, tontilla -cymbal, cymbal, tambourine ( again illa suggests small)
Tumba - large horn, great trumpet, trump
Thimli - whistle, flute, piccolo

I mean, if the elves had words for these instruments, then they also must have known and used them, and some of the names are quite onomatopoetic.
He also mentions the fiddle, congregated harp, lute, organ, pipes of shell, reed-pipe, sackbut, silver flute...

And some of his horns are obviously animal horns, or conch shell horns.. i also wonder if for ecample daerons flutes, are actually a double-flute or aulos.

Then it comes to my mind that he talks about music in conjecture with the sound of water, wind, singing birds...

Not sure how I did not find those before, but thank you Haerangil! It strikes me that Tolkien tends to sing much like a Catholic priest will occasionally sing a few lines of the liturgy....

I was struck immediately by the same thing. This setting is straight out of the Mass.

I'm thinking that most of the songs in The Lord of the Rings were tavern songs. Short, simple melodies. Easy to learn. Hard to forget. No significant variation between verses. I believe they'd call them "ear worms" in Norway.

Thanks for linking to those songs, Haerangil!

Another fun thing maybe... he does mention several music instruments in his text...

So maybe from that we could draw conclusions?

Roma , romba- horn, trumpet, loud sound
Alapumba - drum
nandelle - little harp
Nande, gannel, tantilla - harp (illa suggest a small instrument)
Kalon - large bell
kantl - large harp
,likinda - trumpet (likin suggests a curled horn)
nell, nyelle, kilin - bell (nelladel, ringing of bells, suggests many bells)
Kilinke - small bell (kilintya suggests ring, tinkle)
Tifin - small flute (tif suggests whistle)
Qintl -lyre
Salaqine, salaqintl -noun. violin, violin, (lit.) thrumsqueak-er
Quingi -twang, strings of harp, harp
Rotse - pipe, tube
Simpa, simpina - pipe flute ( ina suggests a small instrument)
Salma -lyre, small harp
Salqin - viol, viola
Salum - harp
Tanta,tantila- harp (tanta sugessts double)
Tombo - gong
tontl, tontilla -cymbal, cymbal, tambourine ( again illa suggests small)
Tumba - large horn, great trumpet, trump
Thimli - whistle, flute, piccolo

I mean, if the elves had words for these instruments, then they also must have known and used them, and some of the names are quite onomatopoetic.
He also mentions the fiddle, congregated harp, lute, organ, pipes of shell, reed-pipe, sackbut, silver flute...
I'm interested to know just what musical instruments the Elves had, as specifically. Haerangil, for clarification are all of those names and instruments in the books, or are any of the words your coining? And is there any indication which ones were known to the Dark-Elves, and which were known to the Noldor?

I'm not surprised by any of them except for the sackbut and organ. Where are those two mentioned?

Do you think it's likely that the Noldor had horns with valves, or only valveless horns? They're a pretty recent invention in the real world, but I don't know if they require industrial manufacturing.

I can add that the Dwarves in The Hobbit have very large violins (cellos?) and clarinets (presumably a simpler single-reed instrument, not the concert clarinet popular today).

All from jrrts wordlists. I cant't temember where the organ was mentioned or the sackbut, i'll have to run a text search for that...

So by now i can say the organ is mentioned a few times, but only in connevtion with the music of the ainur and with Ulmo, it appears in the earliest lost tales, in the early silmarillion and then again in the later version which is is morgoths ring and which came to be used in the pubsil.

Obviously i was drawing the logic connection that if the organ was mentioned in thevrlves religious texts, that sort of instrument must have been kniwn to them... but out of that context i believe that in connevtion with the ainulindale jrrt was specifically thinking of church music and in connevtion to ulmo probably water music.

Its hard to say what instruments the dark elves would have used for we know little of their languages. All i can say is that Horn and bell are among the most oldest words in elvish languages and are known in primitive quendian so i guess the early elves maybe already knew these and so the dark elves may have kniwn them too. I also presume they already knew drums as these ate a pretty archaic type of instrument.

Sackbut i could not find, i wonder if maybe a trombone was meant, or i made a mistake by some mistranslation.

Last edited:
Thanks much Haerangil! :) It's a useful list to have.

Sackbut is just an early valveless trombone, right? So my guess is that the sackbut itself meant.
I'm interpreting the organ references as not being relevant to what Elves play... after all, the English versions of the Ainulindale are translations, perhaps in the original Quenya the Elves mentioned some other instrument. Organs make sense in English as a reference to church music.

I agree horns must have been known pretty early since Orome's horn Valaroma was heard by the Elves, and they can be made of animal horns or even tree bark. Signalling instruments (horns, shrill flutes, drums, and bullroarers) could be especially useful in the dark where many kinds of visual signals don't work.

The bells must have been made only after the Elves learned to forge metal, so they would be somewhat younger, but perhaps in Beleriand before the groups of Eldar became separated by the Sea.

Some words for harp are also quite old, going back to some stage of Common Eldarin. (So do words of Sun and Moon, but a word for harp also appears in "Ilkorin")

There's also the Q word hyola = "trump" but by itself I don't know if that's "trumpet" or "winning card in a game".

Fiddle is just another word for violin. Pipes of shell probably means shell-horn or conch, which has a word in Common Eldarin or Primitive Quendian. Or else it means the Horns of Ulmo.

The Sindarin wordlist I downloaded has:
gannel = harp
nell = bell
rom = trumpet, horn
tong = tight, resonant [of strings]

Are any of those other words LotR-style Sindarin? They mostly look Qenya to me.

I'd like to also ask, where were lutes and reed-pipes mentioned? I assume that they must have been invented before violins and clarinets (respectively). But I only found lutes in the same context as organs, and reed-pipes I didn't find at all.

Last edited:
In any case this is the list of instruments I ended up with (so far) :

Whistle – Calaquendi
Flute/Pipe – Eldar, Longbeards
Horn/Trumpet – Oromë, Calaquendi (maybe all Eldar), Dúnedain (likely valveless/natural horns?)
Shell Horn – Eldar
Shell Pipes/Horns – Ulmo
Sackbut?
Reed-Pipe – ??
Clarinet – Longbeards (single-reed woodwinds)
Harp – Eldar, Edain, Longbeards
Lyre – Eldar
Lute – Calaquendi (maybe all Eldar)
Violin/Fiddle – Calaquendi, Shire, Bree, Longbeards
Viol/Viola – Calaquendi
Viol/Cello – Longbeards
Drum – Calaquendi, Longbeards, Orcs of Moria
Bells – Calaquendi, Sindar
Gong – Ñoldor (maybe all Calaquendi)
Cymbals, Tambourines – Calaquendi
Bullroarer?

Most words look like goldogrin on first sight, but i am not sure. Far more important than the elven names to me is the si ple fact that those lists shed some light on actual instruments jrrt had on his mind, same for weapons by the way, i do not give too much on the names per se, but as soon as he gives us a word which does denote a more specific artifact i find that helpful. I do not think too much about the sackbut or trombone tning... i think if it was mentioned somewhere we should maybe rather see it as an old tuba , bronze trumpet or lure type rather than a modern trombone.

I still hold it possible that the elves or valar knew an instrument similar to a hydraulis or pteron or a similar archaic instrument, but i think it would not play much of a role in our stories, though in a way i would love ar-pharazon or another villain as a mad organist..., however i find the idea of a similarity to old church music still interesting.

Last edited:
Concerning the idea that repetitious melodies would get stale, I wonder if we don't need to draw a distinction between songs of entertainment vs songs of enchantment. For entertainment we want variety, but for enchantment, I would think we'd want repetition to draw the listener ever more into the song, as their own thoughts begin to resonate with it.

Furthermore, many of the longer songs are themselves the entirety of a tale. I think the repetition would help with memorizing the whole thing far more than if every bit sounded different.

"Fiddle is just another word for violin. "

Well technically it could also be a viol, lira , Fidhla or rabab..
as a traditional icelandic instrument i would like the idea that the dwarves played the fidhla.

Last edited:
Back