On Music and Magic

Niendil

I’ve only just started listening in, so I’m still in Season 0, in which there was a discussion of music and magic, specifically battle. I thought I’d mention the Finnish traditional runic singing, as described in the national epic The Kalevala, which was a big inspiration for Tolkien. Here’s a link to a good example:
. Granted it’s a lullaby, but still perhaps an inspiration for a particular musical style and sound In magical combat.

I’ve only just started listening in, so I’m still in Season 0, in which there was a discussion of music and magic, specifically battle. I thought I’d mention the Finnish traditional runic singing, as described in the national epic The Kalevala, which was a big inspiration for Tolkien. Here’s a link to a good example:
. Granted it’s a lullaby, but still perhaps an inspiration for a particular musical style and sound In magical combat.

Firstly, welcome aboard! This is a huge project, so please don't feel like you need to be completely caught up on the podcast to have input.

I love this piece! Is that a dulcimer or some variant being played there?

Thanks for the example!

So far, we've had a few examples of battle songs, and we'll have plenty more, so the more suggestions we can throw Phillip Menzies' way, the better. :)

In Season 3, Melian uses song to repel a spider attack and create the Girdle of Melian in Doriath. Phil put together a musical piece for that. But we also had Sauron use song to overcome Maedhros' army, and I don't think that scene has yet been tackled musically.

In Season 4, Sauron and Luthien have a bit of a musical wrestling match at the Mereth Aderthad. And we threw all sorts of terrible suggestions at Phil on how to proceed, but he still managed to put something together :p. Feel free to check out Hurdy Gurdy Goblin Feet!

Obviously, the musical duel between Finrod and Sauron is coming up in Season 6 :)

Firstly, welcome aboard! This is a huge project, so please don't feel like you need to be completely caught up on the podcast to have input.

I love this piece! Is that a dulcimer or some variant being played there?

This is the Finnish national folk instrument, the kantele [KAN-tel-eh]. According to the Kalevala [KAH-le-vah-lah], the
Finnish national epic, it was created by the wise old wizard Vainamoinen [VINE-ah-moy-nen] from the jawbone of a pike, with the fishguts for strings (if memory serves). Eventually, Vainamoinen remade it with birch for the sounding board, and that’s the preferred wood to this day (mine is a 10-string on birch — but no fish guts!). Vainamoinen was the great singer; he sang one opponent into a swamp up to his chin, and all his magic was manifest through song. So I always think along these lines when envisioning magical activity in Silmarilion. I picture Luthien singing something rather similar to this lullaby as she charms Morgoth to sleep. For the contest of Finrod and Sauron, a more drumming sort of strum. And the creation of the Girdle more meandering and ethereal.

Many thanks for your warm welcome, and your interest in something very close to my Finnish-American heart!

Thanks for the example!

So far, we've had a few examples of battle songs, and we'll have plenty more, so the more suggestions we can throw Phillip Menzies' way, the better. :)

In Season 3, Melian uses song to repel a spider attack and create the Girdle of Melian in Doriath. Phil put together a musical piece for that. But we also had Sauron use song to overcome Maedhros' army, and I don't think that scene has yet been tackled musically.

In Season 4, Sauron and Luthien have a bit of a musical wrestling match at the Mereth Aderthad. And we threw all sorts of terrible suggestions at Phil on how to proceed, but he still managed to put something together :p. Feel free to check out Hurdy Gurdy Goblin Feet!

Obviously, the musical duel between Finrod and Sauron is coming up in Season 6 :)

I’ll have to catch up at some point, but since I’m currently Anytime auditing John Garth’s superb course on T in the world wars, my time is rather full! But I’ll do my best.

Take your time! As Nick noted, no need to be caught up to offer suggestions!

Hmmm, that style of music, but with drumming, makes me think of Mari Boine's music, like this piece. Different instruments, of course. Certainly battle-like, though.

LOVE this! It’s very much the sort of thing I was thinking of.

Just looked her up: of COURSE!! She’s Saami, and they had/have a strong influence on Finnish music and culture. In fact, the “witch” characters in the Kalevala are seen by some as analogs for the Saami magic users. Gotta get me some of her music, I think!

It is excellent! I have not heard something so beautiful for a long time. This video shows the level of playing a musical instrument that I aspire to. No matter how much I try to create something like this with my friends, we always miss something. The point is that we play different musical instruments. And recently we tried to play some famous pieces and record them. But as it turned out later, our audio interface is no good. We have a small budget, so we weren't sure if we could buy a new one. Once a friend of ours sent us https://www.itsaboutmusic.com/best-audio-interface-under-200 so that we could read more information. This helped, and we were able to buy a new audio interface. Soon, we will try again to record the piece we played. Wish us luck!

Last edited:
Back