A bit off topic, but...

Timdalf

I want to be sure this topic is noted. As it happens, by pure accident MythMoot VII opens on August 6 which is the 75th Anniversary of the dropping of the first atomic bomb on Hiroshima, Japan.... This moment was one of credible brightness and one of Defining and Defying Darkness... when tens of thousands of lives were lost and maybe millions saved by ending the War. I think a word or two in Prof. Corey's opening remarks on August 7, might be appropriate. Now, back to our regularly scheduled programming, Tolkien...

Yes. Thank you for this reminder, and I agree it does seem to be appropriate to the theme of this year's Mythmoot. Certainly a moment of Defining and Defying Darkness.

Question: When is there Darkness at Noon?... When does blinding light end in the words of the Destroyer of Worlds - i.e., in utter darkness? But the alternative? Millions of Japanese and hundreds of thousands of Americans dead and now many more crippled?. So where was there true darkness? In the minds of the Japanese militarists who woke the sleeping giant and filled him with terrible resolve. This quote may actually go back to Napoleon: "China is a sickly, sleeping giant, but when she awakes the world will tremble." Unfortunately the Reds in the Communist Party have awakened her. Some day very soon we may regret Truman did not take MacArthur's advice and invade China when the Reds were relatively weak.... Darkness indeed. PJ in the fall of Barad-dur depicted just such a destruction, may it be of the forces of evil....

Back