SilmFilm Narsil

D

Deleted member 207

Hi guys, just trying to play catch up still and trying to get to grips with what we’re doing with narsil.

I’m picking up pieces of a really interesting history with it but can’t quite put it all together.

Can anyone illuminate me as to the history it has in the series so far?

Thanks

Hi guys, just trying to play catch up still and trying to get to grips with what we’re doing with narsil.

I’m picking up pieces of a really interesting history with it but can’t quite put it all together.

Can anyone illuminate me as to the history it has in the series so far?

Thanks

Narsil was made by Telchar on commission from Maedhros, who gives it to Aegnor as a sort of peace offering. It will come into the possession of Andreth after the Dagor Bragollach.

Ah, and she then has it to pass it down. See I saw Andreth had it but was finding it hard to track it back. That's great, thank you.

That's great. I feel all caught up. I was trying to go through all the posts as I listen to the podcasts.

If you want to see the discussion that led up to that decision, and the alternative ideas proposed, feel free to check out this thread:

But as Nick pointed out, the decision was to place Narsil in the hands of Aegnor in Season 4, and it will transfer to Andreth at the end of Season 5. We had to decide in Season 4, because we needed Narsil to be forged while Telchar was still alive.

Speaking of Narsil, and of these powerful items in general, have we been addressing the "magic" attributes of them? I have not heard anything in any podcast that clearly describes this for Narsil. I have read that someone uses Angrist to slice some steel in a scene - fantastic!
In my recent reading of LOTR I took note that Aragorn warns Hama not to touch Anduril on pain of death. This could just be taken as a threat, but I like to read it as if a person other than the rightful owner holds it, the magic will kill them. They did it in the LOTR movies by showing that Anduril was able to block the ghostly sword of the king of the oathbreakers. We need to show the magics somehow so that the audience understands that these are not just ordinary blades.

Speaking of Narsil, and of these powerful items in general, have we been addressing the "magic" attributes of them? I have not heard anything in any podcast that clearly describes this for Narsil. I have read that someone uses Angrist to slice some steel in a scene - fantastic!
In my recent reading of LOTR I took note that Aragorn warns Hama not to touch Anduril on pain of death. This could just be taken as a threat, but I like to read it as if a person other than the rightful owner holds it, the magic will kill them. They did it in the LOTR movies by showing that Anduril was able to block the ghostly sword of the king of the oathbreakers. We need to show the magics somehow so that the audience understands that these are not just ordinary blades.

Narsil is, as I recall, meant in our story to be representative of resistance to domination. We have shots of its forging, where Telchar carves runes in the tang (hidden by the grip) which are the source of this spell. This has not, at this time, been paid off. I hope to find a way to pay it off to some degree before Aegnor dies, but we are not quite there yet.

But what does resistance to domination look like and how will the spell be manifest? I can get behind the scene at Edoras being for Anduril as part of the new spells cast with the reforging.

Narsil will have a long and glorious history, and we are now putting a bit more of that together. Surprisingly, the fate of Narsil came up in Session 5-29 while speaking about the culture of the Edain. While there has always been a temptation to make Narsil someone's 'second best sword', the only place we want that to happen in our story is while Túrin is living in Brethil. Túrin's choice of Gurthang over the available Narsil will be of interest to our story-telling.

And so, here is the history:

1) Season 4 - Narsil is forged by Telchar. Narsil is commissioned by Maedhros as a gift for Aegnor, whose sword broke in the Dagor Aglareb.

2) Season 5 - After Aegnor's death in the Dagor Braggolach, Finrod will gift this sword to Andreth, in memory of his brother.

3) Andreth will join the refugees from Dorthonion in Brethil. The sword will become a treasured heirloom among the Haladin.

4) Narsil will make its way to the Havens by the end of the First Age.

5) During the Third Kinslaying, Maedhros will recognize Narsil and pick it up as spoils from the battle. His brother Maglor will pick up a young Elrond and Elros.

6) Elrond will be gifted Narsil by Maedhros at some time before the end of the War of Wrath. Narsil will be Elrond's sword while he serves as Gil-galad's herald.

7) At some point during the Second Age, Elrond will gift Narsil to a Numenorean who aids the Elves in their battles in Middle-earth against Sauron. This individual will either be a Lord of Andúnië, or their descendants will be. Narsil becomes the sword of the Faithful.

8) Amandil will gift Narsil to Elendil prior to the drowning of Númenor.

...and we know the rest from there.

Obviously, there were a few pitfalls to avoid with the history of Narsil. One, is that we did not want it to merely be an 'heirloom' for thousands of years and not take part in the story in any way. There has been a strong desire to avoid making it 'Elros' second-best sword', as we know Aranruth is the sword of the King of Numenor. Another is that we did not want Narsil to be used in any Kinslayings, nor to have any kind of tainted history the way Gurthang does. And thirdly, we wanted the history of Narsil to be very much tied up in the story of the Edain and the Númenoreans - this sword, though made by a dwarf early in the First Age, becomes an heirloom and symbol among Men. It is borne by Elves, but it is not only an Elvish weapon. There's room for 'filling out' some stories (for instance, between 3-4), of how a Lord of Brethil takes up Narsil for some reason (perhaps the Nirnaeth Arnoediad).

Narsil will have a long and glorious history, and we are now putting a bit more of that together. Surprisingly, the fate of Narsil came up in Session 5-29 while speaking about the culture of the Edain. While there has always been a temptation to make Narsil someone's 'second best sword', the only place we want that to happen in our story is while Túrin is living in Brethil. Túrin's choice of Gurthang over the available Narsil will be of interest to our story-telling.

And so, here is the history:

1) Season 4 - Narsil is forged by Telchar. Narsil is commissioned by Maedhros as a gift for Aegnor, whose sword broke in the Dagor Aglareb.

2) Season 5 - After Aegnor's death in the Dagor Braggolach, Finrod will gift this sword to Andreth, in memory of his brother.

3) Andreth will join the refugees from Dorthonion in Brethil. The sword will become a treasured heirloom among the Haladin.

4) Narsil will make its way to the Havens by the end of the First Age.

5) During the Third Kinslaying, Maedhros will recognize Narsil and pick it up as spoils from the battle. His brother Maglor will pick up a young Elrond and Elros.

6) Elrond will be gifted Narsil by Maedhros at some time before the end of the War of Wrath. Narsil will be Elrond's sword while he serves as Gil-galad's herald.

7) At some point during the Second Age, Elrond will gift Narsil to a Numenorean who aids the Elves in their battles in Middle-earth against Sauron. This individual will either be a Lord of Andúnië, or their descendants will be. Narsil becomes the sword of the Faithful.

8) Amandil will gift Narsil to Elendil prior to the drowning of Númenor.

...and we know the rest from there.

Obviously, there were a few pitfalls to avoid with the history of Narsil. One, is that we did not want it to merely be an 'heirloom' for thousands of years and not take part in the story in any way. There has been a strong desire to avoid making it 'Elros' second-best sword', as we know Aranruth is the sword of the King of Numenor. Another is that we did not want Narsil to be used in any Kinslayings, nor to have any kind of tainted history the way Gurthang does. And thirdly, we wanted the history of Narsil to be very much tied up in the story of the Edain and the Númenoreans - this sword, though made by a dwarf early in the First Age, becomes an heirloom and symbol among Men. It is borne by Elves, but it is not only an Elvish weapon. There's room for 'filling out' some stories (for instance, between 3-4), of how a Lord of Brethil takes up Narsil for some reason (perhaps the Nirnaeth Arnoediad).
I can get behind this; I was a bit confused during the session since I wasn’t sure who would give the sword to Elendil.

I would like for it to be very distinctive - definitely *not* of Noldor influence, unlike anything else in play in the Elf/Man sphere. The fully-informed observer would know it as dwarven, the casual observer would merely notice that it is different.,

I would like for it to be very distinctive - definitely *not* of Noldor influence, unlike anything else in play in the Elf/Man sphere. The fully-informed observer would know it as dwarven, the casual observer would merely notice that it is different.,
Well, what do we have on Dwarven swords for design?

So far i can't quite recall if we had a lot design options for dwarves...
We had beenntossing around some vaguely norse, baltic, slavic, celtic i deas i think.

Back