Help with new reader study group

Eänir

Next week I am starting a bi-weekly 'book club' or study group for a small group of first time readers (friends and family).
I think we will be reading a chapter or two each time and then discussing it.

Does anyone know of any good resources for discussion topics to help facilitate this? I am using the Episode Summaries here, but we'll catch up to this group in a few months.

I've been desperately trying to catch up with Exploring LotR via the podcasts and I'm almost there. As a long time lover and student of middle-earth, I want to share my interest with some friends and family but I'm worried that I may overload them with information if I don't have an outline for each session.

Thanks!

Have you heard of the Prancing Pony Podcast?
The pacing seems to better match what you are needing, and there are some topic examples you might use.

Next week I am starting a bi-weekly 'book club' or study group for a small group of first time readers (friends and family).
I think we will be reading a chapter or two each time and then discussing it.

Does anyone know of any good resources for discussion topics to help facilitate this? I am using the Episode Summaries here, but we'll catch up to this group in a few months.

I've been desperately trying to catch up with Exploring LotR via the podcasts and I'm almost there. As a long time lover and student of middle-earth, I want to share my interest with some friends and family but I'm worried that I may overload them with information if I don't have an outline for each session.

Thanks!

If you go to the Mythgard Academy website, you will find classes Corey did back in 2012 on 'The Fellowship of the Ring' (6 classes), 'The Two Towers' (8 classes), and 'The Return of the King' (8 classes).

I know that is indecent haste, compared to 'Exploring The Lord of the Rings', but it might fit your use case better. It is a little faster than one class per chapter. It covers the 62 chapters of TLOTR in 22 classes, so about 3 chapters per class on average.

Good luck.

Hey,

This sounds super fun, BTW. In addition to those very early Mythgard Academy classes from 2012 (or was that even Mythgard Academy yet? IIRC that might have been an earlier iteration) Corey posted recordings of the Tolkien class he taught back when he was at Washington College (an actual in-person class that took place in a room on a campus - remember those?). They're part of his "Tolkien Professor" podcast you can find here:
also on Apple Podcasts etc. He posted these recordings back in 2010. That Washington College class also looked at the Hobbit, the Silmarillion, Niggle, Smith of Wootton Major and more.

BTW, not what you're looking for here, but I'd also recommend the very first series of podcasts Corey did, going back into 2009, where he did a series of lectures on the Hobbit recorded specifically for the podcast, not posting recordings of a class he did somewhere else. I assume this was probably the first draft of him working through organizing material that would eventually become his Exploring the Hobbit book.

Back