Boromir at the Junction of the Past and the Future?

Rachel Port

Discussing Boromir's speech here and in class, I tried to see the Council from Boromir's point of view. He has no experience of elves - we will see his fear about entering the woods of Lothlorien. The idea of magic and the uncanny makes him uncomfortable. He has probably met Saruman and Gandalf before, but in Minas Tirith they were petitioners of Denethor, seeking learning in the histories of men. Early in his Ring-induced madness, he says to Frodo:

So you go on. Gandalf, Elrond - all these folk have taught you to say so. For themselves they may be right. These elves and half-elves and wizards, they would come to grief perhaps. Yet often I doubt if they are wise and not merely timid. True-hearted Men, they will not be corrupted. We of Minas Tirith have been staunch through long years of trial. We do not desire the power of wizard-lords, only the strength to defend ourselves, strength in a just cause. And behold! in our need chance brings to light the Ring of Power. It is a gift, I say; a gift to the foes of Mordor. It is mad not to use it, to use the power of the Enemy against him. The fearless, the ruthless, these alone will achieve victory. What could not a warrior do in this hour, a great leader? What could not Aragorn do? Or if he refuses, why not Boromir?

He sees these uncanny folk as a bit inferior, and I don't believe that is just the Ring - he doubts their leadership from the beginning.

What he cannot see is that what "Elrond and Gandalf - and those folk" are resolved to do will bring about the Age of Men if it succeeds, and they know it. They have groomed Aragorn for the return to the kingship. The Council of Elrond is where the wisdom of the past is brought to decide the future, and must choose a future that will mean the end of their power.

Boromir is uncomfortable with the past. His concern is with the present. He came for the answer to a dream, hoping to find counsel for dealing with the new shadow that the men of Gondor cannot fight in the answer to his riddle, and I think he sees the Ring as part of that answer. His thought is all for the now and for Gondor. That is why he sounds a little strange when he offers the third alternative for what to do with the Ring. His solution is pragmatic and practical - and though he seems to acquiesce at the end, he never really does. That is what gives the Ring such power over him.

Hi Rachel,

I think your read of Boromir is quite correct. I think, however, that he does leave the Council supporting the plan, and thinking that his Dream has been adequately explained. We will come to why and when he reaches that conclusion in the next few classes.

Back