Sam and the Old Man Willow – #25

Hi there,

I just recently found out about this series and enjoyed your classes very much so far, thanks for making this public without a pay-wall! So I'm way behind the actual course but I assume you don't mind if I deliver a thought concerning older sessions, do you?

In Session #25 Corey raised the question why Sam was immune to the enchantment of Old Man Willow in contrast to the other hobbits. I've got a theory about this matter which leads back to what we know of Sam's character development so far.
  1. When Sam was caught eavesdropping by Gandalf he stated his motif to join Frodo on his journey: Couldn't you take me to see Elves, sir, when you go? So far his motif is self-centred; he desires to see elves and travelling with his master is only a means to this end. This changes after he actually met elves.
  2. In the morning after they've spent the night with Gildor and his company Sam states: It isn't to see Elves now, nor dragons or mountains, that I want – I don't rightly know what I want: but I have something to do before the end, and it lies ahead, not in the Shire. I must see it through, sir, if you understand me.
    Neither Sam nor Frodo understand this obscure higher purpose at this time, but I think we as readers and observers of the whole story can safely say what it is: Sam's purpose is to save Frodo. We see it all along until their reaching Mount Doom.
  3. Opposed to the others his purpose is no longer bound to his immediate needs, which is the angle on which the enchantment of OMW works and gives it the power to drowse them into sleepiness. I'd even go so far to say that Sam is kind of touched by elven magic which gives him protection against OMW's song. Thus he is able to break the spell, regain his self-awareness and act on his own will.
This explanation seems to have a weakness in Sam's caring about the ponies first instead of aiding Frodo straight away. But considering he just overcame his slumberness it makes sense to him seeing to his duties as a servant first and his master didn't seem to be in immediate danger at the first glance. But after hearing the splash of Frodo's falling into the water he immediately was there to save him.

The same kind of reasoning could apply to Frodo in a bit mitigated form. Yes, taken the burden of guarding and carrying the ring is of course a higher purpose he's committed himself to as well. But at this stage he's still in doubt which would explain that he is almost able to withstand the enchantment, better than the others, but not fully. In my understanding Frodo's full commitment to his task comes only later in the council of Elrond by offering himself to being the ring-bearer until the end. (If someone shows him the way to Mordor. ;) )
On the other hand, Sam's commitment to serve his master to the bitter end has been already confirmed and blessed by the elves in the night with Gildor. He's a step ahead compared to Frodo.

What do you think?

Cheers, Spielkalb

The main problem I see with that hypothesis is that it ignores Merry and Pippin and their voluntarily deciding to accompany Frodo, and the commitment to Frodo that overcomes their fears and makes them insist on being part of the fellowship leaving Rivendell. Frodo's and Sam's exceptional sense of mission can only lead to their resistance to Old Man Willow if it is in contrast to a lack of such commitment in the two who do get trapped. I don't think that is fair or even valid. Frodo is kicked into the river instead of being swallowed up, but that's not his doing. Sam is not near to the tree because his job is to take care of the ponies. I'm a big Sam fan, but I don't think he is resistant to Old Man Willow, he is just doing something else when the others are overcome by the spell of tiredness and fall asleep under the willow.

The main problem I see with that hypothesis is that it ignores Merry and Pippin and their voluntarily deciding to accompany Frodo, and the commitment to Frodo that overcomes their fears and makes them insist on being part of the fellowship leaving Rivendell. Frodo's and Sam's exceptional sense of mission can only lead to their resistance to Old Man Willow if it is in contrast to a lack of such commitment in the two who do get trapped. I don't think that is fair or even valid.
Yes, I see where you're coming from. I don't want to down-play Merry and Pippin's commitment to support Frodo, not at all! After all, they did everything in their power to support Frodo's cover and literally forced him to giving in in accepting their company for the journey ahead. They both left their former lives behind in order to accompany their friend in a perilous journey with unknown outcome, what more can you expect?

But for them it's still an adventurous trip whilst for Sam something's changed with his encounter with the elves. He feels a higher calling after talking to the elves.

Sam is not near to the tree because his job is to take care of the ponies. I'm a big Sam fan, but I don't think he is resistant to Old Man Willow, he is just doing something else when the others are overcome by the spell of tiredness and fall asleep under the willow.
I'm not convinced with this mundane explanation. Sam was well inside the reach of Old Man Willow's enchantment like the others:

Beside them Sam stood yawning and blinking stupidly.
He was not 'doing something else' but the enchantment hit him as well. Whilst the other's had been totally enchanted, he sat down, scratched his head and came to his senses:

'There's more behind this than sun and warm air,' he muttered to himself. 'I don't like this great big tree. I don't trust it. Hark at it singing about sleep now! This won't do it all!'

In my understanding Sam was the only one who was able to break the enchantment. He was was subdued to it like the others but resisted. He was not busy caring about the ponies, that came only after he broke the spell.

Okay - and I wonder if the real difference is Sam's ability to stand back and observe what's going on, and to recognize magic in its dark as well as its bright forms. Besides the work ethic which I think leads to a consciousness of a task he's supposed to do that's being interfered with. And then I think of the class difference - Sam is of sturdy peasant stock, which tethers him to reality. It's a wonderful combination, that earthiness with his absolute belief in all things magical. It's what we all love in Sam. And you know, his sense of purpose, whether he understands it or not, is not far off from that feeling of there being a job that needs doing.

The correlation you brought up between Sam's doing practical jobs and his higher purpose is quite intriguing. It's been ages since my last reading of LotR, but from what I remember it fits very well, especially to the last chapters in Mordor in which Sam is literally keeping Frodo alive and cares for all practical things, like food and disguise in orc-armour.The utmost climax of his devotion is
Sam in LotR chapter Mount Doom said:
I can't carry it [the ring] for you, but I can carry you and it as well.
Both practical needs and higher purpose come together here.

Last edited:
I'm in chapter X now and am very impressed by our beloved Sam; he's the only one taking Gandalf's advice from his letter seriously to check out if this random stranger would be the 'real' Strider:
Sam said:
You never mentioned Gandalf, till this letter came out. You might be an play-acting spy, for all I can see, trying to let us go with you. You might have done in the real Strider and took his clothes. What have you to say to that?
That's hilarious! He's undoubtful the most sensible hobbit in that room and dares to confront that strange rascally looking man asking him for his credentials.

Coming back to my original hypothesis, it still makes sense to me but I can't see if that's explored any further. At the Barrow-Downs he's just as helpless as Merry and Pippin as far as we know.

Okay - and I wonder if the real difference is Sam's ability to stand back and observe what's going on, and to recognize magic in its dark as well as its bright forms. Besides the work ethic which I think leads to a consciousness of a task he's supposed to do that's being interfered with. And then I think of the class difference - Sam is of sturdy peasant stock, which tethers him to reality. It's a wonderful combination, that earthiness with his absolute belief in all things magical. It's what we all love in Sam. And you know, his sense of purpose, whether he understands it or not, is not far off from that feeling of there being a job that needs doing.

Yes, and being a worker, he knows that you can't lie down and take a nap in the middle of the afternoon just because you're feeling a bit sleepy :)

More seriously there are several other places in the story where Sam is shown to have preternatural powers to resist slumber - when watching over Gollum, and at Henneth Annun are the ones that come to mind. Otoh Sam does not find it easy to resist sleep when in the company of elves - with Gildor and later in the Hall of Fire. (I think there's material for a paper here!)

But in the context of the story Sam's resistance to Old Man Willow has the additional effect of prefiguring Sam's resistance to the enchantment of the Ring.

Last edited:
Back