Where has Legolas been? (session 245)

FoolishTook

What has struck me in the last few sessions is the lack of Legolas. I would think that Legolas would have spotted the crows before anyone else (didn't he in the film? Perhaps this is one area where the film may have been more consistent? Or I might misremember...) with his unusually sharp, even for an elf, eyes, but do we know if he ever even saw or felt them? I would think that Legolas would have "felt" something when Frodo, Gandalf, and Aragorn all felt the mysterious presence pass overhead, but did he say anything? What are the rocks saying about whatever it was that passed over them? Did they react at all? I would think that Legolas would have some valuable input in these parts but he seems very absent. Did I miss something?

What has struck me in the last few sessions is the lack of Legolas. I would think that Legolas would have spotted the crows before anyone else (didn't he in the film? Perhaps this is one area where the film may have been more consistent? Or I might misremember...) with his unusually sharp, even for an elf, eyes, but do we know if he ever even saw or felt them? I would think that Legolas would have "felt" something when Frodo, Gandalf, and Aragorn all felt the mysterious presence pass overhead, but did he say anything? What are the rocks saying about whatever it was that passed over them? Did they react at all? I would think that Legolas would have some valuable input in these parts but he seems very absent. Did I miss something?
When the crebain went overhead Legolas was resting (sleeping?) so even if his eyes were open the holly bushes probably blocked his sight.

Regarding the 'wisp of cloud' incident, it is possible that Tolkien was specifically aiming for a level of uncertainty in the company and the reader that would be destroyed by Legolas giving his input.
In HHGTG Majikthise expresses something similar: 'I mean what's the use of our sitting up half the night arguing that there may or may not be a God if this machine only goes and gives us his bleeding phone number the next morning?'

As far I understand after Rivendell we get mostly Frodo's and Sam's viewpoints with what they have assumed or read from the other's expressions (or reports from Gimli and Merry and Pippin after the parting of the Fellowship - with bits of extra info from Findegil mixed in much later here and there). So if neither of those had any info from Legolas during this very moment it would not be there.

Back