Beren

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ange1e4e5

Beren is the son of Barahir and Emeldir. When the Dagor Bragollach led to the deaths of the lords Angrod and Aegnor in Dorthonion and Ladros, Barahir, Beren, and 11 others led a defense of the land they called home. Only Beren is left alive when the band is betrayed by Gorlim the Unhappy and slaughtered by orcs led by Gorgul the Butcher; Beren kills Gorgul and retakes his father's heirloom, then flees to Doriath where he meets and falls in love with Lúthien, daughter of King Thingol and Melian the Maia. Accepting a challenge to take a Silmaril from Morgoth himself (which Thingol intended as a snipe hunt), Beren seeks the aid of King Finrod Felagund of Nargothrond and 10 others who remain loyal when Celegorm and Curufin turn the people of Nargothrond against him. Captured by Sauron at Tol-in-Gaurhoth, Beren is saved by Finrod who sacrifices himself for him and Lúthien, who destroys the tower. After being attacked by Celegorm and Curufin, Beren takes the latter's knife Angrist and is disguised as the werewolf Draugluin to infiltrate Angband, where Beren loses his hand to Carcharoth, the greatest wolf to ever live. When he and Lúthien return to Doriath, they are married, but Beren is killed by Carcharoth when he comes to Doriath on the rampage. Beren is eventually returned to life by Lúthien's intercession and they depart to Tol Galen, siring a son named Dior. When King Thingol is killed by Dwarves, Beren kills the dwarves and takes the Silmaril from them. When Beren and Lúthien die the Silmaril passes to Dior.

Beren is a young man in his 20s-30s, bearded and wiry. Being the son of Barahir and Emeldir, he will need to resemble one or both of them in some form or another. Will need to sing and dance with Lúthien, as well as a lament for Finrod. Could be light-haired per Tolkien's descriptions of him.

David Alvarez has built his career around song and dance so far, with portrayals of Billy Elliot onstage at various points in this life, then as Bernardo in the 2021 adaptation of West Side Story. Experienced as a singer, dancer, and even a bit of fighting (Bernardo is a boxer in this adaptation). Also served two and a half years in the 25th Infantry. As for cleaning up, contrast his looks in the "America" sequence and the knife fight in West Side Story (see clips below)

David Alvarez
Height: 6'0"
Roles: Bernardo in West Side Story, Isaac English in American Rust
121418-16.jpg

Chosen by the Execs to play Beren

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is Anthony Ramos
Height: 5'7"

Roles: Hamilton, In The Heights.

A truly fantastic performer who can sing and have moments of comedy and pathos. He definitely has the ruggedly handsome look needed for Beren and would truly add something wonderful to the role.
anthony-ramos.jpg Ramos22-1200x958.jpg

Last edited:
For Beren, I'm nominating Sam Claflin.

Height: 5'11"

Known for playing Finnick Odair in "The Hunger Games" earlier in his career, more recently was the male lead in "Daisy Jones & The Six" on Amazon Prime.
download.jpg

Edit: Thank you very much for suggesting the nominee! Unfortunately, Sam Claflin is not eligible to be nominated for Beren, because he is already cast to play Celegorm in Season 6 of Silm Film.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beren is a young man who has lost a lot - his family, his people's land, his dog - but is willing to brave some fairly ridiculous risks to find what he is looking for in life. He falls in love with Lúthien of Doriath, as does everyone who meets her...but in his case, her interest is returned. His willingness to seize the day and be very passionate about things fascinates her, while her compassion for the struggles he has passed through encourages her to help him heal. She teaches him how to dance; he teaches her how to put herself in positions she never otherwise would have found herself in. Together, they cheat death, and then die together. Oh, and steal a silmaril from Morgoth's crown.

We would like for the actor who portrays Beren to appear to be similar in age to the actor who portrays Lúthien, despite her character being a thousand years older than him.

Lúthien is played by Jessica Brown Findlay (age 33):
1680409338841.png

And as a member of the house of Bëor, he should look similar to the other characters from that house already cast. Including his parents!
Bëor, played by Alfred Molina (will not be on screen with Beren, as they are not contemporaries)
1680414007845.png
Father: Barahir, played by Santiago Cabreara (age 45)
1680409900680.png
Mother: Emeldir, played by Emily Swallow (43)
1680410032392.png

I would like to nominate Italian actor Lorenzo Richelmy for Beren.
1680410435887.png

Age: 33 (He just celebrated his birthday...on March 25th! So we should find some way to cast him in this project.)
Height: 5'10" (1.78 m)

Originally suggested by Haakon for this role back in 2021, Lorenzo Richelmy has appeared in Netflix's Marco Polo (as Marco Polo, opposite Benedict Wong's Kublai Khan), The Girl in the Fog (in which he plays a young detective searching for a missing girl), and most recently in The Bunker Game (his character's name is Gregorio; I haven't seen it; seems to be some sort of psychological horror/thriller story?) In 2017's Rainbow: A Private Affair, he plays Giogio, a love interest in a story set in World War II Italy (so he's doing more being-captured-by-Fascists than hanging out with his girlfriend....)

I think Lorenzo Richelmy has a very expressive face and will be able to portray Beren as a notable character even when he is ancillary and background to the scenes that he is in....which is often the case with Beren. He's boyish and likable, but has played roles where his character has gone through some things. He did fight choreography training for his work on Marco Polo, and even learned English for the project!

Dancing in Rainbow:
1680413380871.png

Marco Polo trailer:

Edit: Was Chosen, but was Vetoed by the Execs

Last edited:
Emilio Sakraya
1682133763251.png
Height: 6' (1.82 m)

This lean and talented German actor has plenty of experience playing the love interest. He also has interests in karate and parkour.
Most of his acting credits are in German shows, but in 2019, he appeared as JC in Warrior Nun, an English Netflix show based on a manga about a religious order fighting demons. He has nothing to do with that group, but is a love interest for the protagonist... a mysterious drifter who rescues her from drowning in a pool. The actress who plays opposite him is dating Chris Evans in real life, so.
A quiet scene, so you can hear his English voice, revealing past trauma to a new love interest:

He seems to have 100k youtube followers as a singer. I don't understand German, so I'm not sure what his songs are about. Here's some examples of songs that start with "W"
Wenn die Welt Winter Warum

But can he dance? Well, there is this....
He's the guard and prisoner 296 in that music video. So I think he can handle choreography.

I don't know a lot of actors in their 20s who can pass for Mediterranean and can sing and dance. But I do happen to like this one based on what I've seen of him. The internet will oblige if you'd like to see him with his shirt off (he does have defined muscles), but I thought it would be nicer to show off his great smile. He's also on the Forbes 30 Under 30 - Europe - Entertainment 2023 List

Edit: Emilio Sakraya was not eligible to play Beren, as he has already been cast as the elf Elrhûn in Silm Film.

Last edited:
Richard Madden
Height: 5'10"
Roles: Robb Stark in Game of Thrones, Prince/King Kit in Cinderella (2015), Cosimo de' Medici in Medici, John Reid in Rocketman, Ikaris in Eternals
Madden would be a more classical version of Beren. He's covered a lot of bases from the heroic but impulsive Robb Stark, lovesick Prince Kit, pickpocket and accidental mass bomber in Bastille Day, and full-on villains like Ikaris. Shows some ability in fight choreography, singing, and dancing.
Robb-Stark-850x560.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back