amysrevenge
Reaction score

Profile posts Latest activity Postings About

• I really need to get to a computer so I can start up some Character threads... Definitely not thumb-typing those.
    Dumb q. Anyone know what it means when it say "Three parts of the people [performed some task]"? 3 parts out of how many?
    Ok so I'm vacationing and it seems like a longer delay than usual for podcast versions of Exploring and MA. Am I dreaming?
    Oops, back on for SilmFilm tomorrow, aren't we. I have parent-teacher interviews in the morning. Boo. Should have signed up for afternoon
    Silmfilm tomorrow? I can't get the calendar to work on my phone and have lost track of time...
    amysrevenge
    amysrevenge
    Yay! Might be a couple minutes late (I'll put my daughter on the school bus 6 minutes after start time, 3 minutes away from home), but that's practically early... haha
    Haakon
    Haakon
    Have fun! I'll miss this one
    MithLuin
    MithLuin
    Awwww...you'll be missed.
    I'm having some conceptual problems with Elf death and the Halls of Mandos.
    amysrevenge
    amysrevenge
    Additional places where information is blocked for narrative reasons that I have trouble reconciling:

-The Noldor know absolutely zero about the state of Beleriand upon departing Valinor. Elves from Beleriand have been dying now and then (more dying or less dying depending on where in the timeline you put the first battles relative to the Oath)
    amysrevenge
    amysrevenge
    -Nobody really knows if the Avari even exist anymore. And once they meet up with the first Men, no hint of it emerges.
    MithLuin
    MithLuin
    Mandos knows a lot of things that he doesn't share with anyone. And none of the living are permitted to interact with the dead. So, the lack of information passing between the Halls of Mandos and the Noldor in Valinor isn't really an issue.
    Watching the Bakshi LoTR movie (don't judge, it's fun). There's a throwaway scene in Lorien I looove. Legolas teaching Gimli to shoot a bow.
    Haakon
    Haakon
    I saw that movie as a kid (like 8?) and loved it (although the ending confused me). Some of the scenes are great, actually. There's something with the Nazgul that's really cool, I think.
    Gandalf would have been proud. 30 minute fireworks show in Calgary for Canada Day.
    Haha had to put down my paintbrush and start commenting in Discord tonight. Couldn't keep letting stuff go by.
    Lost my job of 7 years this week. We're fine, but my "PC with a real keyboard" time is diminished. Reading all things, thumb-typing rarely.
    MithLuin
    MithLuin
    Oh no! I hope all turns out for the best :(
    Haakon
    Haakon
    So sorry to hear that! Yeah hope things work out soon.
    Nicholas Palazzo
    Nicholas Palazzo
    I'm sorry to hear that. Hopefully employment comes to you swiftly.
    Ok here's a threaded story that you guys might find amusing.
    Idle discussion with my wife: if he had written the show, would JRRT have referred to the denizens of Smurf Village as "Smurves"?
    MithLuin
    MithLuin
    His preference for 'dwarves' rather than 'dwarfs' is meant to account for the natural English tendency to adapt plurals that are in common use. Of course, there is also 'Dwarrowdelf', where he uses the plural form 'dwarrow', but I don't know enough etymology to understand where that came from.

So, if not 'Smurves,' could it be 'Smurrow'?
    Marielle
    Marielle
    He might very well... but I strongly suspect that would have been the least of changes he made to that show.
    amysrevenge
    amysrevenge
    It sounds dumb to say it out loud, but the general premise is ripe for a proper mythologizing. (Similar for Fraggle Rock - a serious mythology could be fascinating and entertaining.)
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
  • Loading…
Back