Mythgard Forums

amysrevenge
amysrevenge
We're supposed to adapt the story to TV. Different task than projefting the book onto a screen.
Ange1e4e5
Ange1e4e5
What point are you trying to make here?
amysrevenge
amysrevenge
That "it's in the text" is a guideline, not a strict rule. That's all.
Ange1e4e5
Ange1e4e5
But you should adhere to the text pretty close; I've seen adaptations where they don't. And it's not a pretty sight.
MithLuin
MithLuin
Angel, you like 'Last of the Mohicans' as a film, right? That movie has *nothing* to do with the book. They used the same names for the characters, but they don't even stick to who the love-interests are or who dies or what race the characters are. They took many, many liberties with the story. It doesn't make it a bad film.
Ange1e4e5
Ange1e4e5
I was thinking more along the lines of Eragon and Percy Jackson.
Ange1e4e5
Ange1e4e5
So the question I'm asking is: How far is too far?
MithLuin
MithLuin
I am not sure that either Eragon or Percy Jackson were great works of literature to begin with. So, yes, the movies are terrible, but the books were at best mediocre. The point is, Amy's question is about whether or not we should do any genderflipping. You're allowed to say 'no'.
Ange1e4e5
Ange1e4e5
Well, yes. I'm saying no since I feel that gender-flipping people like Turgon and Finarfin is taking it too far.
amysrevenge
amysrevenge
I tend toward c) too late. I would've liked the ratio of "top tier" Elf genders to have been something other than 30:2 (or whatever it is, everyone:Galadriel+Melian).
amysrevenge
amysrevenge
And Luthien. But nickel-and-diming more names becomes a stretch and not the point. I would prefer fewer dudes in a modern show, in a setting where the only reason there aren't fewer dudes is modern (to the author) bias.
amysrevenge
amysrevenge
But we are where we are, and I'm not insisting or even suggesting we retcon our own work. More lamenting, and hoping maybe we can do differently with Men.
F
Faelivrin
I am very opposed to gender-flipping anyone. That is a huge change to a character. I don't like the gender ratio in Tolkien's main characters, but I dislike gender-flipping more.
F
Faelivrin
In general I am opposed to rewriting characters' personalities. Changing gender is a significant change in personality.
Nicholas Palazzo
Nicholas Palazzo
Essentially, my stance is that a character who can be gender-flipped with no other changes to the character is a badly written one.
amysrevenge
amysrevenge
In a novel, absolutely. In a bird's eye overview? Less so.
Haakon
Haakon
Since we're talking gender issues: Maybe one or two of the Elves are gay? I don't have a strong opinion about it, and I have no suggestions, just brainstorming.
Ange1e4e5
Ange1e4e5
I’ve heard suggestions that Fingon and Maedhros are.
Haakon
Haakon
Yeah. That's common fanfiction material, right? Not sure we should go that way...
MithLuin
MithLuin
As common as the same interpretation of Frodo and Sam, yes. I prefer to write them as intensely close, and let the reader/viewer draw their own conclusions.
Back