Search results

1. JJ48

Frodo lives?

I think Ilúvatar himself would have to be involved there, and as clear special-cases, it's kind of difficult to draw broad conclusions from them. It does raise the question of whether Ilúvatar could intervene and grant immortality to Bilbo and Frodo as special cases, but I'm not sure I like...
  2. JJ48

Two Riddle Poems?

Perhaps. I'm just pointing out that the poem only talks about what gold does or does not do; not what it should or should not do. I don't really get poetry, so I'll leave this for others. I don't really see a connection between the two. Eh, perhaps it's not usual for Strider, but then...
  3. JJ48

Two Riddle Poems?

The Ring does glitter, though. "And behold! when he washed the mud away, there in his hand lay a beautiful golden ring; and it shone and glittered in the sun, so that his heart was glad." (From The Shadow of the Past, talking about Deagol finding the Ring.) Also, given the context, I think...
  4. JJ48

Boromir's journey

This assumes that: 1. The terrain is open enough to be assessed this way. 2. The terrain is traversable enough to allow this sort of search.
  5. JJ48

Did Boromir go through Bree on his journey to Imladris? Why? When?

I'm now picturing Boromir like Harry Potter at the train station wondering what to do next, until a family of Elves walks past and he happens to overhear the name "Imladris".
  6. JJ48

Why does Boromir not stop in Isengard on his journey north to find Imladris?

I don't have a First Edition, or any other early edition. However, my electronic copy does begin with a "Note on the Text", where Douglas Anderson goes over the publishing history. He mentions: "In the production of this first volume, Tolkien experienced what became for him a continual...
  7. JJ48

This is well before the initial publication. In fact, an outline from August 1940 (placed just before the third version) appears to be where the idea of the Sword was introduced. The outline says, "Boromir. Prophecies had been spoken. The Broken Sword should be reforged. Our wise men said...
  8. JJ48

But there's not, so it doesn't. Unfortunately, this works both ways. If it's more concise to say "greatest loremaster" for one, it's also more concise to say "greatest loremasters" for two. Personally, I think the simplest explanation is that it was a typo which went unnoticed for a while...
  9. JJ48

No disagreement; it depends on how you're counting the days. If you're counting 24-hour periods, it's 9. If you're counting calendar dates, it's 10. As an example, suppose I leave on a trip January 1 and arrive at my destination January 2. I could say that I arrived at my destination a day...
  10. JJ48

Mythmoot VII: June 25-28, 2020

You might even get to be a boulder!
  11. JJ48

Frodo lives?

Not Newhart?
  12. JJ48

Elrond and Cirdan - ulterior motive?

I'm not sure that viewing the Ring like an addiction removes the choice component. It certainly makes giving in to the addiction an easier choice than rejecting it, but it doesn't completely remove the choice, or the responsibility for that choice.
  13. JJ48

Council of Elrond: why are we doing this?

It's one thing for the Wise to understand what's going on and give targeted advice, but it's quite another to ensure that all the various peoples understand what's at stake.
  14. JJ48

Mythmoot VII: June 25-28, 2020

I plan to be! There will be academic presentations, for sure. However, it's not limited to students and faculty, and if you enjoy Professor Olsen's talks, you'll enjoy the presentations.
  15. JJ48

Catch-up: Sauron’s fear

Personally, I think it's less a matter of short-sightedness and more a fundamental misunderstanding of the Ring (which, in fairness, the Wise don't really explain too well). Boromir is looking at it strictly as a weapon. From that standpoint, why not use it, the same way one might use orc...
  16. JJ48

Seven Rings for the Dwarven Kings....

In Letter 131, Tolkien addresses this somewhat. But at Eregion great work began – and the Elves came their nearest to falling to ‘magic’ and machinery. With the aid of Sauron’s lore they made Rings of Power (‘power’ is an ominous and sinister word in all these tales, except as applied to the...
  17. JJ48

Strangers in strange lands?

I don't think that works. Why is hurting or increasing suffering of others defined as "evil"? By what standard are you calling it thus? Put another way, suppose the Orcs thought serving Morgoth was "good" and opposing him was "evil", deserving of death. What basis do we have for saying...
  18. JJ48

I disagree that a dog knows it is doing wrong. The dog certainly knows when its owner is upset, but doesn't necessarily even link that mood to a specific action it's done unless you train it. Dogs are completely reliant on training to know what to do. In contrast, Men, Elves, Maiar, and Valar...
  19. JJ48

Though, Aulë transgressed by creating the dwarves and, when confronted by Iluvatar, seemed to understand that he had done wrong. To me, that sounds like something similar to a conscience.
  20. JJ48

Follow-up question: do the other Valar/Maiar have consciences?