Search results

1. Halstein

The Orc Problem

If the orcs have souls, I think they should be tainted beforehand. Whether they be elf, human or something else might be less important. Illuvatar should be able to give them a fitting period as orc. Also, to increase the numbers of orcs, some evil power seems to have to be about. "Orcs are...
  2. Halstein

The Orc Problem

As orcs are discussed here, I'll post my thoughts on the "Orc-problem", even if it is not based on LOTR. Reading "Morgoths Ring", and listening to the Mythgard Academy series. In ep. 11 Prof. Olsen talks about fëar refusing Mandos' invitation. Can such fëar be used for orc-production? The...
  3. Halstein

Untrustworthy carriers.

Yes, as an angler I have dropped metal into water, usually moving, and yes, it do 'roll with the current', more often than not. The speed of river need not to be that great to roll small and light pieces of metal along.
  4. Halstein

Untrustworthy carriers.

Hi. Prof. Olsen mention that even Anduin could not be trusted to carry the Ring to the sea. Thinking Anduin having a will of its own (like Caradhras), getting corrupted, and wanting to hold on to the Ring might be taking it to far? Or does it? Might the will of the Ring have stopped it from...
  5. Halstein

Session 5-25: Harad

I would think a Gondor-like system would be the most likely. Or some sort of oligarchy, with a primus inter pares head of state? Historically city-states often have been ruled by oligarchic governments.
  6. Halstein

Typical of my luck: Normally do office work 8.00 to 9.30, then go to teach. When SilmFilm...

Typical of my luck: Normally do office work 8.00 to 9.30, then go to teach. When SilmFilm broadcast from 8.00, "course-day" all day from 8.00.
  7. Halstein

"Gandalf, the need for steed", the video-game.

"Gandalf, the need for steed", the video-game.
  8. Halstein

We three hosts of Silmfilm are, Corey, Trish, Dave on jewel war, makes discussions, weights...

We three hosts of Silmfilm are, Corey, Trish, Dave on jewel war, makes discussions, weights suggestions, sometimes on tangents go to far. ;)
  9. Halstein

Lately, when driving to work, I have seen Eärendil's Silmaril in the sky.

Lately, when driving to work, I have seen Eärendil's Silmaril in the sky.
  10. Halstein

After finishing the "History of LOTR"-part of "The History of Middle-Earth", I have a feeling...

After finishing the "History of LOTR"-part of "The History of Middle-Earth", I have a feeling the "LOTR"-films made a surprising amount of changes in line with ideas discarded by Tolkien.
  11. Halstein

The titles of Wizards, and the business of The Grey

In Norwegian we have no word for maroon, but we can see it. It is called "rød-brun" which means "red-brown". According to our English-teacher the colour might be less popular in Norway, than in Britain, because it lacked it's own proper name.
  12. Halstein

Wonder where one can get hold of C. R. Tolkiens "The Inns and Outs of Oxford".

Wonder where one can get hold of C. R. Tolkiens "The Inns and Outs of Oxford".
  13. Halstein

The bit about the Elves leaving in the unpublished epilogue (from "Sauron Defeated") is some of...

The bit about the Elves leaving in the unpublished epilogue (from "Sauron Defeated") is some of the saddest things I've read.
  14. Halstein

A Guest and To Counsel

Names ending on gast(ir) is found on rune-stones in Norway, in the proto-Nordic language using the elder futhark. The Einang Stone (~300AD) has the name (gu)dagastiR (Good guest) The Myklebostad Stone (~400AD) has the name a(n)sugastR (Asir guest, Asir=one of the clans of Old Norse gods). The...
  15. Halstein

Reconciling "The Hobbit"

Nicked a pic from a post by MithLuin, and added something it lacked. Couldn't resist posting it here. Hope nobody get upset.
  16. Halstein

Just some scribbles.

Thank you, for your kind words.
  17. Halstein

Just some scribbles.

Saw Sparrows prompt on basing what one writes on sounds. Probably not what she meant, but here is an attempt at poetry (of sorts): Loudly laughing lively brook, foaming rain-filled flower-banked. Dew-silvered dawn breaking, storm-showered night besting.
  18. Halstein

Just learned that a municipality in Norway is called "Orkland". It's coat of arms contains a...

Just learned that a municipality in Norway is called "Orkland". It's coat of arms contains a gear, so they are probably descended from Saruman's orks.
  19. Halstein

Just heard the latest Silmfilm-episode. Like the thoughts on Andreth.

Just heard the latest Silmfilm-episode. Like the thoughts on Andreth.
  20. Halstein

Bingo "Dogbane" Baggins.

Bingo "Dogbane" Baggins.