Search results

1. Haerangil

Session 4-23: Episodes 11 and 12

Btw as i continue to read the script... I can't say how much i love the way the captains and wives are introduced! It is so good to have new interesting characters! and i like the funny mocking on flying balrogs and a not dead elf with a strangely twisted name I like the feanorians brooding...
  2. Haerangil

Quite a lot! But the hill of Gondolin is really more a plateau so... the difference shouldn't be that big actually. But you're right... the slopes of gondolin look very rocky and barren... if that is a result of the quarrying for stone to built the city we don't know of course..
  3. Haerangil

Well the seven gates technically are not part of the city...but i think... at first they probwbly do not need an outer wall or even watchtowers... those could be later additions!
  4. Haerangil

Character Introductions

They look a bit different, more like greyskinned, hunchbacked, haggard elves rather than the burly, muscular ghoulish guys we chose the orcs to look like...
  5. Haerangil

Gondolin

I mean... i thought to continue the ideas we had for Tirion and Alqualonde according to which, while the Noldor are perfectionists and architects and are able to plan a city from scratch... ...WITHIN their city outline the elves live a pretty much individualist lifestyle, every house is pretty...
  6. Haerangil

Gondolin

Ok after our gondolin excourse in the episode threat... Like this maybe?
  7. Haerangil

That is a good orientation point! If taken literally then tumladen would be about 14 mi long at the widest point! if combining with jrrts sketch then Gondolin could have an area of 2- km2 ... i think that would be okay for a city with above 100.000 inhabitants... those could be reasonable...
  8. Haerangil

Indeed my guess that Gondolon on jrrts sketch is less than 1 mile in diameter is based on thevassumption that turgon's tower is not much taller than 600 meters! If we take his drawing literally and turgons tower is 150 m tall then Gondolin is a village of not much more than 500 meters in...
  9. Haerangil

Indeed!the published silmarillion map has no longitudinal scale If i adapt beleriand to the lotr map i'd get a Tumladen of roughly 17 miles in diameter... We cannot always trust Karen wynn-fonstadts maps, but she also has tumladen an oval valley of 14-15 miles at the widest point. Some other...
  10. Haerangil

She's a freedom loving person, a huntress... I think she DID suffer quite a bit from having to live in a big city without much opportunities to roam the wilderness...
  11. Haerangil

In response to the Host's challenge in Episode 0-2 : How to visually depict the Valar

I like vaire and mandos best to be honest... Melkor is also cool in a way...
  12. Haerangil

horses

If they are like Asfaloth they are at last faster than most other horses, they don't need to be immortal though. It states in the pubsil if i remember rightly, that the elves brought few horses from valinor but these multiplied quickly on ard galen... to me an indicator 1. These horses lived...
  13. Haerangil

horses

No, but we know elves ride without saddle, Rohirrim with saddle.or was it bridle? Both modt likely..
  14. Haerangil

horses

There's a difference between mearas and valinorean horses! If huan is immortal so can be great eagles and elfhorses!
  15. Haerangil

Whoops! Script Discussion S04E10

It's not so much about their origins as on their actions...
  16. Haerangil

He starts off as a clever beast, briefly is thought of as a maia and returns to be a clever beast.Though maybe "of immortal race"... the problem of spirit and soul, same old thing as with Werewolves, Dragons, Orcs etc. Why i still prefer these mysterious not to be solved by us.
  17. Haerangil

We can't have Huan as a Maia if we had him as a puppy, which means he was born to a mother... Faelivrin at an early time pointed out that good Ainur don't do "such things" in animal form:cool: So he's either an animal which was gifted with a sort of soul like the great eagles or he was not...
  18. Haerangil

Gondolin

What do you mean exactly? The seven gates guarded the orfalch echor, not the city itself.. after passing the gate of steel Tuor would have entered Gondolin via the great main gate i guess, bevause that was where the great road led.The north gate was a smaller secondary gate.. i don't know what...
  19. Haerangil

Gondolin

We could a tually collect some favourite illustrations... An artist named Karolina Węgrzyn drew thus fantastic map: An artist named bmosig painted this beautiful version:
  20. Haerangil

Gondolin

I think i would generally go with karen wynn fonstadts map and the Ted nasmith illustration... But one could easily add more details, for example the surrounding agricultural landscape of tumladen vale, the position of Anghabar mines in the north, the sectet escape tunnel , the mines and...