Search results

1. Ennikan

I hate to post this here but...

Can't seem to figure out where else, or if you are aware. The podcast hasn't updated in ages. We're stuck on 125. I can't use YouTube, so I can't continue. Hoping you are aware, is there a fix coming?
  2. Ennikan

Podcast feeds inaccessable and/or months behind

Came here to say this, too - also stuck at 126. I realize they are on YouTube, but that does not work for me listening in the car. YT shuts off when your phone sleeps (unless you buy premium, which I am NOT doing). I'm feeling disconnected!
  3. Ennikan

The Witch King’s Notched Blade

Having just listened to the whole discussion, my thoughts are that while it's really fun to dissect things to the Nth degree, I think we always need to remind ourselves - "is it in the text?" And sometimes the obvious thing is THE THING. I don't think it matters if the blade was obsidian...
  4. Ennikan

The Witch King’s Notched Blade

This is how I have ALWAYS read it - that it's an intention design of a very specific weapon. Which is why he used it vs. a full sized sword. And that has always made me believe even more that the Witch King's objective was to subdue Frodo in this way and not kill him outright. Whether for...
  5. Ennikan

If it's a spiritual battle, then let it be so.

True! And Merry of course strikes a blow later. But I don't think at this point the Witch King realizes - or fears - that at this moment.
  6. Ennikan

To Rivendell

That's a really good point about narration. It will be interesting to take a closer look and see if the tone changes. But you would think a lot of it has to be Sam.
  7. Ennikan

What'cha reading?

Don't judge Tad W. by Tailchaser - that was pre-MST. MST is truly classic high fantasy. You won't be disappointed.
  8. Ennikan

If it's a spiritual battle, then let it be so.

A lot of talk around the issue of tactics and the riders 2 sets of 2 riders not advancing. Corey came down that the first two simply could not make it into the dell, likely due to the strength of the Tale of Tinuviel. The second two were stopped by Frodo's speaking Elbereth as well as possibly...
  9. Ennikan

What'cha reading?

I really can't recommend Memory Sorrow and Thorn enough. Great characters and story. A world that feels real in a similar way, if not quite as deep as Tolkien. Makes me want to read it right now. I was just looking at Chalion, and I am putting that on my list - might even read it next. That's...
  10. Ennikan

What'cha reading?

Saw a few books that I am looking up in this thread. But I wanted to ask this group what High Fantasy series they love that is worth reading that comes near (but of course nothing compares really) to Tolkien. Worldbuilding, characters, heart, etc. Maybe there's nothing new under the sun, but I...
  11. Ennikan

Glorfindel

The flat earth idea is one of the very few things that bothers me about his world, and the idea of the sun/moon being carried across the sky. I get why it bothered him in later years. I think it is because it takes a mythos that seems "plausible" and so believable, and reduces it to something...
  12. Ennikan

Glorfindel

That jives more with what I've heard Corey say in the past, thanks for this. It makes more sense.
  13. Ennikan

Glorfindel

Very interesting. I had seen that wikia entry after I posted and was not sure about it. Seems plausible and interesting. But good to know it's the same guy. As for binging, now I miss being able to listen every single day! Which is why I started on the Silmarillion series (which I just reread...
  14. Ennikan

Glorfindel

I have been catching up on both Exploring LOTR and the Silmarillion series. (I'm another person who has binged on 64 episodes in like 3-4 weeks! Hope to join a live session soon.) Glorfindel's character always puzzled me, because we read of his death in the Silmarillion, but he later appears at...
  15. Ennikan

The Tolkien Professor website and podcast are down

Actually, I still cannot download Silmarillion Seminar #8. Just tried with no luck. The forum here is deathly slow as well, not sure if related. http://tolkienprofessor.com/ is also not loading.
  16. Ennikan

Actually, I still cannot download Silmarillion Seminar #8. Just tried with no luck. The forum here is deathly slow as well, not sure if related. http://tolkienprofessor.com/ is also not loading.
  17. Ennikan

18. Ennikan

Gandalf receiving a message in the Shire

Excellent analysis! Love it. I think it makes a lot of sense. Thanks for weighing in.
  19. Ennikan

Re-reading the series - how many times? :)

It's funny because the last couple times I've thought, this might be the last time I read it, at least for awhile. Then a year goes by, or Christmas approaches, and I get the itch to pick them up again. :) I do remember getting Unfinished Tales from my book club in high school - around 1982...
  20. Ennikan

Re-reading the series - how many times? :)

This looks like the proper social forum to post this, so hopefully this isn't out of bounds. I'm sure the Tolkien die-hards here have re-read LOTR a crazy amount of times just like myself. When I get into a discussion about Tolkien with friends or family, the issue usually comes up, and I'll...