Search results

1. L

Spotify Question (not sure where else to post)

I have been following asynchronously on spotify. The last week posted was 213 on 1/16. Have you abandoned spotify. As of 1/31 Spotify is current. Thank you
  2. L

The poem Past and Future jumping the gun 2

In writing jumping the gun 1 I realized Verse 1 and 2 each contain two thoughts about the past Verse 3 and 4 each contain two thoughts about the future Verse 5 and 6 each start with a thought about the past and end with a look to the future The above does not say why this structure but it is...
  3. L

Past and Future jumping the gun 1

I know I should wait and listen to tomorrow's class which I won't be able to do until next Sunday or whenever it is posted but I cannot wait. Reading the 5th verse: I sit beside the fire and think of people long ago, and people who will see a world that I will never know. It is classic what...
  4. L

Kind as Christmas

A kind day.
  5. L

Totally off topic

Rachel: It is the paragraph before the song. The way the paragraph is written see my prior post, it almost sounds like it is part of the song. It is not.
  6. L

Totally off topic

Rachel it is unclear what language as it is not part of the Rohan songwriter's song, but something stated by the narrator as part of a list of Gondorians other than Halbarad who died. The list included Forlong, Duilin, Hiluin, Grimbold plus Halbarad. Thinking again of Exploring LotR this...
  7. L

Totally off topic

Rachel my e-book has the line "nor Halbarad to the North-lands, dour-handed Ranger" As a listener of Exploring Lord of the Rings I wonder what the elven word was for North-lands and dour-handed. but that is for a different thread and many years in our future.
  8. L

If I am spared

Based on how much Bilbo ages when the Ring is destroyed, he seems likely to die whether in Middle Earth or Valinor. His trip to Valinor seems a reward for his action in bringing about the end of the Ring and a chance for him to live his last years in peace free of all the hurt that being...
  9. L

If I am spared

In episode 210 lots of talk about Bilbo saying "if I am spared" in reference to writing the second book and his realization of how old he is. One concept that was not raised is whether Bilbo may be realizing as Gollum realizes that if the Ring is destroyed his life might end with it. If he has...
  10. L

Look foul and feel fair

Rachel thank you for getting that the whole post was for a smile not for an in-depth debate.
  11. L

Look foul and feel fair

Flammifer I cannot find regular cloths described as foul but when Gimli sees the mithril coat he exclaims "I have never seen or heard tell of one so fair" and Eowyn receives from Theoden "a sword and a fair corslet" (isn't word search useful) so gear of war can be described as fair by a dwarf...
  12. L

Look foul and feel fair

Flammifer you are being too literal. Frodo is now dressed in ordinary traveling close that would not get him a second look on the road and might even make him look a little seedy, thus foul. Underneath he is wearing one of the most spectacular and beautiful mail shirts in Middle Earth, thus...
  13. L

Look foul and feel fair

This post has two parts. First, I celebrate that after starting a journey in March I have now listened to all episodes of Exploring LotR. Note I started with the Council of Elrond which is my favorite chapter in Fellowship and have mostly stayed current but then went back and listened to...
  14. L

A host of Elves in armour of the Elder Days?

Flammifer and Rachel not sure we can take this much farther. I appreciate and understand your reading of the passage and as with many wonderful Tolkien conversations there can be no certain answer, although I would not want to argue Balrogs having wings or Eagles flying to Mordor. This one, I...
  15. L

Flammifer in a sense "A Ring of Power" is a proper name as it denotes a defined subset of rings of power. That though seems like another discussion. In context though the use of recalled the Elder Days and the rest makes Elder Days feel like a time period perhaps a mythic time period that the...
  16. L

Rachel I am happy that there are Eldars among us. As a careful or scholarly first time reader I would read it as present time period "I remember well the splendour of their banners" and present "it recalled to me the glory of the Elder Days." Thus he is remembering the Last Alliance which...
  17. L

You and I will probably not agree on this. While the reader may not get this they should. Grammatically and/or as used in historical writing "It recalled to me the glory of the Elder Days" should be read as referring to a specific era which the thing be referred to is not a part of.
  18. L

Odola I would go with 90% but you may be a better first time reader. :)
  19. L

Flammifer: I started LotR for the first time in the Elder Days, defined as a time when was no published Silmarillion. I cannot remember what I thought the Elder Days meant. I know that most of what this class focuses on went way over my head as I focused on the story and ignored many of the...
  20. L

Rachel: This is getting complicated the initial issue seemed to be should the reader understand Elder Days as a distinct time period or simply a time long ago. This was also asked about the hobbits. Based on what is said at the Council Elrond clearly is talking about a specific time period...