Search results

1. C

Episode 0-3

I like that structure, but I'm not sure if all of those things would be able to take up an entire season. Depends how much padding/ expanding we're willing to do, or how much we're willing to make 'out of whole cloth' (to use Corey's words on what Jackson tended to do surprisingly little).
  2. C

Thoughts on "Casting" Iluvatar

He's Neo, aka The One, in The Matrix. Google is your friend! He's sort of blank sometimes, and it was more of a stealth pun than anything. I'm not sure he'd actually do a great Iluvatar. Ian McKellen, on the other hand...
  3. C

Thoughts on "Casting" Iluvatar

I was actually toying with the idea of having many different voices for Iluvatar rather than one voice actor, but then I remembered he is the One and decided Keanu Reeves would do. I like the idea of him having many appearances, since he is the One but also sort of everything - the issue then...
  4. C

Iluvatar and the Valar's Melodies

Oh yeah, I should probably have been a bit clearer - I'm not suggesting actually changing the themes, that would be way too much. We're already talking a lot of themes here, even if they are all derived somehow from the Great Music. I think stuff like extra octaves would do just fine.
  5. C

Good points there; rolling is definitely the word that should characterise Ulmo's theme, along with perhaps pulsing. I'm thinking now, with the thoughts of scale-changing Valar, that there might have to be subtle variations on each of their themes depending on how big they are/ what they're...
  6. C

This is a good idea, and I think I agree that the Valar do all need their own themes at least to some extent. However, they needn't be incredibly different: remember that each of the Valar makes a part of the Music, so each of their themes could be a part of that greater music. I also think that...
  7. C

Mandos

Mandos obviously ought to be someone who can do quite a stern sort of look, but also someone who's believably sort of paternal enough to be the keeper of the halls of the dead. As the one who pronounces dooms, I think he also ought to have a distinctive voice. Sadly, the late great Christopher...
  8. C

Mairon/Sauron

I actually think Evan Peters could do okay. He could get that innocent look at first, and he could definitely do the darkness. I think if it was him he'd have to have blonde, wavy hair.
  9. C

In response to the Host's challenge in Episode 0-2 : How to visually depict the Valar

I really like this idea as a way of showing just how much of a different level these things are on. I was thinking maybe they could even be filmed at a different frame rate (see Quicksilver in Days of Future Past) or have some sort of colour shift applied, just to keep a constant visual difference.
  10. C

English lit/ creative writing/ philosophy graduate, dissertation on literature in Middle-earth...

English lit/ creative writing/ philosophy graduate, dissertation on literature in Middle-earth. Long time listener, first time participant!
  11. C

In response to the Host's challenge in Episode 0-2 : How to visually depict the Valar

My thing with the scale idea is that I think it's probably necessary for the Valar to be larger than the Elves, and be able to change their shape and size, but I don't think it's sufficient. As Corey pointed out, the difference between Elves and Valar is one of fundamental kind, not scale or...
  12. C

Casting Tulkas

I've suggested Idris Elba or Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson elsewhere, but if it would be preferable to not use overly big names (which I think does make sense) then how about Hafthor Jules Bjornson (that's as close as I can get to the right spelling), aka The Mountain from Game of Thrones? Still...
  13. C

Casting: Ethnicity and Migration Patterns of the First Age

I like all of those thoughts! Ulmo looks a bit like Jason Momoa in my head, possibly because of the Aquaman connection but I think more for the physique. Aule is definitely Greek/ Egyptian and I think I see Nienna as that pale sort of Japanese. Tulkas is either Idris Elba or Dwayne Johnson...
  14. C

How do the characters talk?

As was touched on by our excellent and intelligent hosts, there's a bit of an issue with language when adapting Tolkien to screen. Do we have everyone talking in archaic English, or go full hog and do the entire thing in subtitled Elvish languages? I suspect Game of Thrones might not be a...
  15. C

Offer to Do Narrative Version of Script

I'm also a fanfic writer and English Lit/ creative writing graduate so I'll happily contribute to either coming up with original writing or looking over/ discussing others' work!
  16. C

I don't have any sketches or anything but I was thinking about that question of how to visually differentiate the Valar from the Elves, and I think there must be ways of subtly altering their appearances through makeup or CGI just to make them look slightly alien, with some remnants of their...
  17. C

I think Aule's theme needs to be like him: firm yet subtle. After all, he's a being of stone and metal and force still capable of creating living beings, of a sort. Not sure whether major or minor but I'm hearing solid, low notes with subtle key changes and accidentals, not too fast or...
  18. C

Casting: Ethnicity and Migration Patterns of the First Age

I can't find the exact post but the askmiddlearth blog on tumblr has a couple of great fancast posts in which she does see different Eldar races as different ethnicities, from Native American to Oriental to European. I realise that elves aren't THAT ethnically diverse, but I don't think it would...
Back