Search results

1. NotACat

Mother or Wife?

I was confused by the mention of Anairë in the latest episode of "Nature of Middle Earth" since it seemed to suggest that she was Turgon's wife: wasn't she his mother? Elenwë was Turgon's wife who perished crossing the Helcaraxë, and she was significant because she was the only known Vanya who...
  2. NotACat

Orcs could be kind of like Ents in a twisted fashion

In Session 28 of "Morgoth's Ring", Corey says that But we know that Ents have "independent will and reasoning powers" without being Children of Illuvatar. Furthermore, NitrasTheAwesomeOne said in the Twitch chat: to which Tarlonniell replied: My head-canon is that Melkor—possibly via...
  3. NotACat

Many Elves and many mighty Men…

So who were these friends if they weren't Elves or Men?
  4. NotACat

Bilbo's ongoing project

It occurred to me pursuant to last week's discussion of how the Elves responded to Bilbo's poem that he had apparently done this many times before: the surprise wasn't that he shared his poem with them, but the particular subject. I wonder whether Bilbo has been reciting the results of his...
  5. NotACat

Slow down, you're going too fast?

While we're looking at poetry for a bit, something was raised a little while back that caught my attention but I don't recall who said it. Apparently the people who wrote the kind of poetry that JRRT loved tended to speak a lot slower than we generally do nowadays. I wonder whether some of...
  6. NotACat

How to pronounce "Magyarország"

(This is actually for the current course on Sauron Defeated but we don't have a sub-forum for that…if someone could oblige I'd be much obliged ;)) You can find a recording of this word on Wikimedia Commons, and like most words in Hungarian (or more correctly "magyar nyelv") it's very strange...
  7. NotACat

How big are Frodo's cushions?

Frodo is "raised upon several cushions" and scatters them when he bows to Glóin. But do we actually know how big those cushions would have been? I imagine modern readers might think of huge cushions as big as Frodo himself, but I'm fairly sure that even in JRRT's day they weren't nearly that...
  8. NotACat

Tag

Just dropping a marker to see if anybody is interested in seeing how the Tag game works at the Bree-land Festival Grounds. I dimply recall hearing about it, but until Gryfflet stumbled across it the other week I'd never actually seen it, and now I'm wondering whether and how it works.
  9. NotACat

Wolves, Wargs and Werewolves…oh myyyy!

In the Discord channel, Aragorn asked "Speaking of Goblins and Wolves, what is the difference between Wolves and Wargs?" Would it be fair to say that Wargs and Werewolves are to regular Wolves what Huorns and Ents are to regular Trees?
  10. NotACat

Blind Guardian - Nightfall in Middle-earth

I was confused when during the very brief intermission "Face The Truth" the words which spoke of the Crossing of the Helcaraxë were attributed to Maglor, who didn't cross the Helcaraxë. Then later during "Noldor (Dead Winter Reigns)" we get the following lines: I´ve seen this bitter end As I´ve...
  11. NotACat

Can we have a forum for "The War of the Ring", please?

I have a topic I want to post and there is nowhere currently suitable… I would like to point out that for some reason I seem to have Moderator Privileges in the existing forum for The Treason of Isengard: I have no idea why, and I do not object, but if I am not supposed to then maybe that needs...
  12. NotACat

The rich and successful merchants

I think that a sentence quoted on Slide 2 (The Guide on Magrathea) might have been overlooked in last night's discussion: the last sentence of the first paragraph. This, coupled with the use of the word "imagine" in the previous sentence, to my mind strongly suggests that the Narrator considers...
  13. NotACat

Slartibartfast

Just a quick note about the derivation of the name. I have the Script Book referenced here and recall reading the note from Douglas Adams with delight. In summary, Adams intended the name to be broadcastable but still sound as if it ought to be very rude, so he started off with something...
  14. NotACat

Not so nonsensical

Is it possible that Tom Bombadil's apparently nonsensical meanderings could in fact be Valarin or something similar? I know that it was supposed to be unpleasant to Elvish ears, but maybe Hobbits might hear things somewhat differently.
  15. NotACat

Bridges

I could swear that the bridges we saw in Dale when the Mythgard Crew swept through so efficiently :D had a similar structure to the Brandywine Bridge. The aspect that caught my eye particularly was the metal bracing which almost looks like giant rusty towel-rails holding the thing together :cool:
  16. NotACat

Quick reactions

This week's session included mention of the very brief time during which Sam was the Conspiracy's Chief Investigator…but I wonder whether it might have been ever so slightly less brief than at first sight. Sam is indeed speculating as to his grass-cutting activities the next day as he is...
  17. NotACat

Drowned Annuminas

This week's Field Trip included speculation about Lake Evendim and the Brandywine River with a view to transporting goods to and fro. Would it make a difference that the Lake is apparently much higher these days because of…reasons (spoilers!)? I did wonder whether there might have been a...
  18. NotACat

Buckleberry Ferry

I googled for "horse ferry" and among the results I found this, which is about the old Horse Ferry in Lambeth in London. You don't get a very good view of the actual ferry but there's some interesting information about it. Most pertinently it seems that this ferry was indeed powered by poles...
  19. NotACat

Scavenger Hunts

I am part way through watching the Grrlz going through the Year One Scavenger Hunts, and last Saturday @mdmnmdllr was kind enough to help me out with some of the "Foes" but we ran out of time, so I still need the last two. My major issue is that I am in the UK and so my time online does not...
  20. NotACat

Missing sessions

I see that the Calendar has been updated to show that a couple of Tuesday sessions will be skipped (IIRC because of the Prof travelling somewhere) and I wondered whether some of the Gryfflet sessions ought to be tweaked in similar fashion. I'm sure I recall him mentioning at the end of the most...
Back