Search results

1. Rowen

Cultural Analogues (for the purposes of initial costume brainstorming)

I think we're on the same page, and, honestly, I'm a little conflicted between staying within Tolkien's bounds, which was very much based in European history, or opening this up to a wider design. That's not to say I think we should have the Vanyar in kimonos, and the Sindar in saris, but I also...
  2. Rowen

General texture and inspiration for the score

It's REALLY REALLY subtle in this piece, but A.R. Rahman added some Indian textures, especially to the Elves, in the Lord of the Rings musical (which... has a few high points, amid some ... wtf moments), which I think is a really cool direction.
  3. Rowen

Cultural Analogues (for the purposes of initial costume brainstorming)

Just curious, but 1) does it need to be recognizably Western (and if not, if we put people in things that look like kimono's and saris and whatever, does that cause other problems?) 2) does it need to be based on Earth historical fashions? Though, that being said, I realize there's only so many...
  4. Rowen

Adding, Fleshing Out, and Merging Characters

I feel like we're using the History of Middle Earth, a lot. And that's not bad!!! I really like a lot of the scenes there, and for a lot of scenes (like The Fall of Gondolin) that's where we have to go. My question, and I know the professor talked a bit about this in the last session, but I...
  5. Rowen

Session 1.3

Has anyone played the game El Shaddai, Ascension of the Metatron? It's very artwork and music heavy with a lot of abstract pieces and watercolory landscapes that shift your perception of what they are. Here's a link to the environment art...
  6. Rowen

Episode 1-2

If we're kinda coming up with these scenes, more or less whole cloth, are we going to include any female elves in Rivendell, especially ones with names and speaking roles? I know lots of people have an issue with Tolkien being kinda female-lite, and I'm not saying we need to shoe-horn women in...
  7. Rowen

Casting Tulkas

Oh good!!! (playing catch-up) I was listening to 1-1 and heard Prof Olsen say that about the Rock and Tulkas having long hair, and I was at working, mentally wanting to yell out, "GO WATCH THE MUMMY RETURNS!!!!!"
  8. Rowen

Episode 0-1

I don't think this is an END suggestion, but rather a jumping off point. If magic is tied to music, how about taking this scene from Sleeping Beauty as a starting point? Something where the characters start with music, and the scenes are grounded in what's going on at the moment, and there's a...
  9. Rowen

Adding, Fleshing Out, and Merging Characters

I didn't see a thread like this, elsewhere, so if I'm posting something in the wrong place, or making a double post, apologies, and I can make any changes needed. There's a lot of minor, or important but non-action related characters (I really don't know how else to describe people like the...
  10. Rowen

In response to the Host's challenge in Episode 0-2 : How to visually depict the Valar

"but I think we can all blame Poseidon, King Trident,and John Howe and Ted Nasmith's art for us all imagining Ulmo having a Trident." I like Ted Nasmith's art, but I'm glad to see other people having a take on it. This can be an ENTIRELY different conversation, but I feel like once one "look"...
  11. Rowen

Mairon/Sauron

I was thinking along the lines of Jonathan Rhys Meyers, which seems to be the same as casting Edie Redmayne, honestly.
  12. Rowen

In response to the Host's challenge in Episode 0-2 : How to visually depict the Valar

I do say I'm glad to see images of Melkor and Sauron that are not Big Evil Black Armor, and I hope that, from a visual and costuming standpoint, that that's not the route that's chosen, especially since both are described as, at some point, being able to take on an attractive visage (I also...
  13. Rowen

Frame Narrative

Why not have it as Arwen telling stories to Eldarion and his sisters? She has a family connection to all of these stories, and you can keep the book framework of a series of stories, and, at least in my mind, ties into the books, and allows the telling of some of the Fourth Age stuff, since...
Back