Search results

1. E

So you want to be a script writer?

Hi! Could I renew my claim on Season 1, Episode 12? The past year rather got away from me, but I'm still thinking about it!
  2. E

Finally here.

That is truly an accomplishment! Congratulations! And welcome, from another asynchronous viewer. :)
  3. E

Are we being a little too harsh on Elrond?

As invited, I want to offer a bit of a defense of the Elven rings. Well, at least one of the Elven rings. Well, at least the way it's been used. :) I was struck by Peter Rybski's tongue-in-cheek "translation" of Elrond's discussion of the use of the Three. I definitely agree that's what Boromir...
  4. E

So you want to be a script writer?

May I try my hand at Season 1, Episode 12? This one captured my imagination early on, and I'd love to give it a go.
  5. E

Bëor

Antonio Banderas also has a beautiful singing voice that does "rough around the edges" well. (E.g., in the film "Evita," he plays the narrator as a working-class everyman figure. Just occurred to me that that could be kind of cool if we wanted to contrast Beor and Finrod's singing, like their...
  6. E

Summoning Bombadil

Good point. Maybe Elrond is thinking that he could have invited Bombadil after other people started showing up and it became apparent that some kind of gathering was brewing?
  7. E

Elrond's Meeting Strategy: Bad ... or Brilliant? (Also, a case for the relevance of the squirrel.)

I'd like to offer a defense of Elrond's pensive rambling, including his shout out to the squirrels of yore. I didn't read Elrond's monologue as a non-sequitur so much as a re-framing of the whole preceding discussion, in which he first recaps the Tale that's been told and then zooms out to put...
  8. E

Why Elrond’s diversion into squirrels?

Flammifer, I like your commentary on Elrond's speech as a gentle way to open up and and begin to guide the discussion. I think you captured how I'm inclined to hear the tone of the comment: not as a non-sequitur from someone who doesn't know how to handle a meeting, but as the kind of nudge an...
  9. E

Sauron as he should have been

P.S. Congratulations on catching up!
  10. E

Sauron as he should have been

I really like this thought experiment and where you went with it. I started thinking of Bombadil about half-way through your post, and was happily surprised to see you ended up there too! Another possibility that occurs to me is that Sauron -- or Mairon, as I believe his first name was -- could...
  11. E

Usage of "try to" vs. "try and"

I was fascinated by this discussion, because I don't think I realized that "try and" would be unusual in some contexts. I've spent the largest portion of my life in western Canada, and to me it feels most natural to use "try and" in a casual context. "Try to" feels more "correct," but ever so...
  12. E

Wizards and (false) prophets

Hi Flammifer. All good points! I definitely don't think there's a one-to-one correlation (Wizard=prophet) by any means. And I think you're right that most new readers probably aren't thinking of Gandalf as a normal human by the time they get here in LotR. Just to clarify one point that I didn't...
  13. E

Isildur's Knowledge

This is an especially interesting point in light of Isildur's comments about the Ring as "wergild" for his father and brother. Setting aside the Ring-induced self-justification aspects, it does provide additional support for the idea that he's thinking about family and dynasty. I wonder to what...
  14. E

Cast into Verse

This has the makings of a true epic. I applaud you!
  15. E

Things you were totally confused about

I remember doing a visual book report on "The Fellowship of the Ring" before I'd read "Two Towers" or "Return of the King." I had included something about Gandalf the Grey, and another kid in my class kept sort of trying to correct me to "Gandalf the White." I had no idea what he was on about...
  16. E

Wizards and (false) prophets

I've enjoyed the past few weeks' discussions of Saruman, his deception regarding the fate of the One Ring, and the probability that he intentionally misled Gandalf and others into believing that the Valar (or, if we want to stick to the concepts explicit in this text, some power for good that...
  17. E

Elrond's introduction of Aragorn

The last episode got me thinking a lot about the way Elrond introduces Aragorn to Boromir. I liked the rationales discussed during the episode, but I wonder if there are some other angles as well. In particular, is it possible that some of the details Elrond includes are intended to frame...
  18. E

Session 4.08 - Overarching Storylines, Final (I hope!)

Regarding things for Luthien to do, maybe she could be present at a gathering where two characters/factions start arguing. It gets heated, and she starts singing to calm them down. I can imagine her being subtle about it, like she's just doing a performance for entertainment's sake (maybe...
  19. E

Talking Animals

A thousand times yes.
  20. E

Managing Character Deaths

Oh, sorry I left that ambiguous. I was thinking of how she had a sense of foreboding and therefore built the secret tunnel out of Gondolin. "Rebel" might not be the right word -- more like "did not accept the party line" maybe? Mostly I was thinking about how her outlook was diverging from her...
Back