Search results

1. E

Are we being a little too harsh on Elrond?

As invited, I want to offer a bit of a defense of the Elven rings. Well, at least one of the Elven rings. Well, at least the way it's been used. :) I was struck by Peter Rybski's tongue-in-cheek "translation" of Elrond's discussion of the use of the Three. I definitely agree that's what Boromir...
  2. E

Elrond's Meeting Strategy: Bad ... or Brilliant? (Also, a case for the relevance of the squirrel.)

I'd like to offer a defense of Elrond's pensive rambling, including his shout out to the squirrels of yore. I didn't read Elrond's monologue as a non-sequitur so much as a re-framing of the whole preceding discussion, in which he first recaps the Tale that's been told and then zooms out to put...
  3. E

Wizards and (false) prophets

I've enjoyed the past few weeks' discussions of Saruman, his deception regarding the fate of the One Ring, and the probability that he intentionally misled Gandalf and others into believing that the Valar (or, if we want to stick to the concepts explicit in this text, some power for good that...
  4. E

Elrond's introduction of Aragorn

The last episode got me thinking a lot about the way Elrond introduces Aragorn to Boromir. I liked the rationales discussed during the episode, but I wonder if there are some other angles as well. In particular, is it possible that some of the details Elrond includes are intended to frame...
  5. E

Pippin the Tweenager

The discussion about Pippin’s persistent not-quite-getting-it about the seriousness of the Quest made me wonder: to what extent does this characterization reflect his young age? I don’t recall when it’s first mentioned, but I know that we’ll eventually find out that Pippin isn’t even “of age”...
  6. E

Finrod

I'd like to nominate Aaron Tveit (https://www.imdb.com/name/nm3117836/). Age: 34 (can easily look younger, IMO) Height: 6 feet Rationale: - Very solid actor, capable of pulling off drama, tragedy, and comedy. - Plays a somewhat Finrod-ish character, the revolutionary leader Enjolras, in the...
Back