Search results

1. B

Bilbo’s longevity

Agreed. In his 90s is when they noticed he didn’t look older. And most Hobbits reached that age no problem.
  2. B

Bilbo’s longevity

I was recently reading through Chapter 1 of Fellowship again, which we obviously didn’t spend enough time on. I noticed that the way Bilbo is introduced is very interesting. Basically, the chapter introduces him by giving a brief overview of the fact that he went on an adventure that was written...
  3. B

What is Sauron doing?

During Mythmoot, I was having a conversation with someone who speculated that perhaps Morgoth blamed Sauron for the loss of his Silmaril to Beren and Luthien. After all, had he stopped the two of them like he was supposed to, this would not have happened. Perhaps Morgoth put Sauron on the outs...
  4. B

Gandalf Like a King of Old

One of the things that struck me about Gandalf being described as kingly at Elrond's table is how this plays in to his nature as an embodied Maia. The Valar and Maiar took on bodies in Ea, which are described as them taking on forms that suited their current purpose, if I remember correctly, and...
  5. B

Impact of the proposed Amazon Project on the Silm Film Project

Also, can we just take a second to appreciate that a major entertainment company is talking about the Second Age? That we're getting a story set in the Second Age? How cool is that? That is beyond my wildest dreams for possible settings for this series, I was leaning toward Young Aragorn...
  6. B

Impact of the proposed Amazon Project on the Silm Film Project

I'm pretty sure only LOTR and the Hobbit are available still. Though there is a lot in there about Second Age stuff that I think you can get some narrative out of? Maybe? Time to reread LOTR with an eye toward Second Age stories.
  7. B

Rome in Sir Thomas Mallory

As a Roman history nerd, I enjoyed reading Mallory's depiction of Rome, both for what it got right and wrong. (Note when I say Mallory here, I'm not excluding the poem this is based on.) First off, there's no contemporary Emperor Lucius (shocking, right?). There WAS an Emperor Lucius, Marcus...
  8. B

The Wight and the Ring

Indeed. Also, the Witch-King, when he was creating the Wights, probably didn’t consider the Ring would ever come this way. Remember, at the time, it had been lost in the Anduin years and years ago. It seemed unlikely to ever turn up, and why would it go West, not East? The thought of the Ring...
  9. B

The Wight and the Ring

I’ve been fascinated by our friendly neighborhood grave dude’s interactions with the Ring-bearer. In particular, the fact that so far as we have seen his motivations, I don’t think he knows that Frodo has the Ring. He isn’t targeting the Ring, and doesn’t react to it at all. He just seems to...
  10. B

Túrin II, Steward of Gondor

Another piece of this: Túrin I was the son of Húrin I, so that seems to have been the main reason for his name - a mimicking of a legendary line of Men.
  11. B

This came about mainly because I knew there were two Túrins. This is what happens when you name your wireless network Minas Tirith and every device that connects to it for a Ruling Steward.
  12. B

I looked in to the reigns of the two Túrin Stewards. The first had a pretty uneventful reign, as one of the Stewards in the middle of the Watchful Peace. The second, though: he was the son of Thorondir. During Thorondir’s reign was when the White Tree began to die. So that’s some apocalyptic...
  13. B

When Did Tolkien Put Tom In LOTR

This is true, but I don't think the classes have mentioned adding Bombadil yet, unless I forgot.
  14. B

I still wonder when Tolkien decided to add his pre-existing oddball character then. ;)
  15. B

I was wondering, when did Tom Bombadil get added to LOTR? He's such a strange figure (which I love about him) - he doesn't really fit with the Silmarillion characters at all and is just generally an odd figure in general. Did the Adventures of Tom Bombadil predate LOTR, and Tolkien added this...
  16. B

Why DO Elves have Pointy Ears

Indeed, this is why I figure the serious Tolkienian Elves these days get the pointed ear treatment. Interesting that Tolkien may have just assumed his Elves got pointed ears, if those quotes are his.
  17. B

Why DO Elves have Pointy Ears

So this isn't something in the text, but something that everyone envisions when they read the text - the idea that Elves have pointy ears. Where does this COME from? It just started occurring at some point, so much so that the LOTR movies had to have their elves have pointy ears. But why is...
  18. B

Wood Elves

One interesting thing I noticed was that LOTR has change the Wood Elves, probably to bring them into greater harmony with the way Elves worked in his larger legendarium, which he hadn't brought them into yet in the Hobbit. I'm not sure the Wood Elves in the Hobbit would have been said to have...
  19. B

Elven Births

One thing I've started thinking about while listening to Silm Film stuff is this weird question about Tolkien's mythology: I started noticing that the youngest Elves . . . are really old. Is anyone younger than Arwen? And she's been around for a long time by LOTR. It sparks a couple of questions...
Back