Search results

1. Atanvarno

Frame Narrative

Well, I'm glad you asked; I've prepared a few brief thoughts. The Frame: Bad and Wrong This rant’s title is shamelessly stolen from an ethics essay. If you’re into normative moral philosophy,[1] you should check it out.[2] Defining Some Terms or So What’s a Frame, Anyway? The questions of what...
  2. Atanvarno

Episode 4: Not the Trail of Tears (or Episode 3)

I say we send them MithLuin's defence of the original along with the revised outline then accept one of the two: They are content with the original They are content with the revision I'm not really interested in any further revision: we've got enough to be getting on with what with a total...
  3. Atanvarno

As presented is all good and requires minimal effort on my part. Thank you! :)
  4. Atanvarno

Complete Cast List for Season Two

Tatië is a speaking role for one episode (three) and in the background for episode one and maybe two. She's Míriel's sister, so someone with a family resemblance to whoever is cast as Míriel is preferred. She's not exactly a rounded character, so I wouldn't get to hung up on casting her. Morwë...
  5. Atanvarno

Complete Cast List for Season Two

Episode 4 cast now includes Ulmo. Episode 2 is TBA since it is being completely rewritten. The cast list should not alter too much: ambassadors + valar/maiar + ancillaries.
  6. Atanvarno

Cool. Done. We don't have enormous scope to graft Oromë into the episode... So we can drop him into the teaser – the Elves migrate and big ol's glowing Oromë is with them. Maybe we can start 2 with Oromë leaving the Teleri to go check on the Noldor/Vanyar and then segue into disorganisation...
  7. Atanvarno

We've got different tools and rules for the story than Tolkien. And you're right, we can't have the island ferry turn up ex machina. It needs to be set up. Ideally, in act one, but since that is full to bursting with Ents as it is, it has to be early act two. In 7, can we steal half a page from...
  8. Atanvarno

Mid-Season Notes

Sadly, I'm not sure I agree. I just re listened to find the pertinent quote from the podcast. At 35:44: To me that really doesn't leave much room for any ambassador-based conflict. I guess it comes down to how you read, "there needn't be that much conflict within the ambassadors themselves." To...
  9. Atanvarno

Mid-Season Notes

So I finally got around to reviewing their comments... here are my thoughts. Ingwë is the first elf. Prof Olsen is pretty adamant on this. Fine. I concede. I still don’t think it’s the right choice, but it is acceptable and I acknowledge there are some benefits. I do want to talk about those...
  10. Atanvarno

Special Session for Episode 8 (probably)

I am busy that night. However, if the topic is going to be the frame, then it's probably best I'm not there. I might write something up as food for thought beforehand.
  11. Atanvarno

Mid-Season Notes

I'm going to have to wait until the podcast is out before I can comment properly. I thought episode 2 was some of our strongest work. Sigh.
  12. Atanvarno

Session 2.10 for S2E06

Yeah, you might want to look at the cover page again...
  13. Atanvarno

If someone doesn't keep asking it doesn't get decided until later :). Honestly, I only ever ask the same questions: who's the protagonist, what awful things happen to them, where are the act breaks? Once you've got that, the rest comes a lot easier. Fixed to save people the confusion. I don't...
  14. Atanvarno

I'm sorry I wasn't around for the discussion, life intervened. I haven't yet watched the video, so these thoughts have that caveat. It looks to me, from MithLuin's summary, like the protagonist is Olwë. He's where the protagonist stands at the end of the episode. Which is interesting, because...
  15. Atanvarno

S02E03: The Great Debate

Good work on the outline. I still that whoever the central protagonist is should, in the climax, reverse their position, i.e. they start out as a staunch remainer and become convinced to leave (or vice versa). It provides a good arc to hang the story off and illustrates that it is a genuine...
  16. Atanvarno

Season 2: Episode 2 - We Three Kings

I'll see what I can do. At present, we have them "pre-enguaged" in episode 1. We went with this because Ingwë was happily married and Finwë was single, so we wanted a diversity in the ambassadors' relationship status. It also gives us a place to go with the Finwë/Míriel relationship. I did...
  17. Atanvarno

The reason it's Vairë: Míriel's ultimate destiny is with Vairë It enables foreshadowing, dramatic irony, pathos and all those good things It is an opportunity to have Vairë play a role in a story that is her being more then a glorified extra (worse, a prop for Mandos) It showcases her in her...
  18. Atanvarno

He doesn't have any children that are named, let alone important to the story, so I have no issue with him not having children at all. Indis is "close kin" on Ingwë, as I understand, not a daughter. And yes, Prof O wants Ingwë to be one of the awakened, rather than born... so how can he have a...
  19. Atanvarno

So here's the rough draft outline from the discussion. It is a rough draft and probably misses quite a few details we discussed, so please point those out (and where they should go). It was getting quite late for me during the discussion, so I've added the scenes I should have suggested but...
  20. Atanvarno

Season 2: Episode 1 - The Awakening of the Elves

Third 'cycle', apparently. First cycle (youth and adolescence?) is about 100 years (I assume that's years of the sun). Second goes for... an ill defined period (a very long time) or until a major trauma (e.g. Thingol seeing Lúthien release her spirit to Mandos kicked him into his third cycle)...
Back