Search results

1. C

Fireworks

I've lapped the class and started re-reading from the beginning. Gandalf has just rolled through town with his cart-load of fireworks. This has brought several questions to mind. Where is Gandalf's manufacturing facility? I would guess Rivendell, since he probably isn't mass-producing a...
  2. C

The name of everyone's favourite Returning King

Ar-Agorn son of Ar-Athorn I can't find anything in the etymologies. What is the significance of the almost-but-not-quite Adunaic names?
  3. C

Council of Elrond: why are we doing this?

Why is there a Council at all?? There are only 4 groups / people who show up. 1) "Golum escaped." -Legolas "I read that on Gwaihir's blog a couple of weeks ago, but thanks for the corroboration." - Gandalf 2) "Sauron's emmisary showed up at our door. Dain wants to know what to do." -Gloin...
  4. C

Flooding the Ford (again!), but no boulders

"...Gandalf the Wizard, whose fame in the Shire was due mainly to his skill with fires, smokes, and lights" because he "made a special study of bewitchments with fire and light." And he was "a servant of the Secret Fire, wielder of the flame of Anor." (Should I bring up that he's got Narya, the...
  5. C

Advanced chronometry

In our current chapter, we see that the Hobbits have descent time-keeping devices (and we know that Bilbo had a nice mantle clock). "'What is it!' cried Merry. 'It is time to get up. It is half past four and very foggy." But when we get to Gondor, we see that they tell time according to the...
Back