Search results

1. Wes

RPGs and video game adaptations

Right on! I don't know much about any of those, so that's very helpful :)
  2. Wes

RPGs and video game adaptations

Would any of you happen to know a little about, and want to discuss with me at some point: 1) the development of role-playing games as a genre, from table-top games like D&D to early text-based computer games to the flowering of JRPGs in the 90's and beyond to MMORPGs and VR? 2) the...
  3. Wes

November, 2018 NaNoWriMo

I'm putting the fear of fire on me, wringing out a few more words. If people can read over what we've got so far and throw out more ideas, or highlight the ones we still should build on, it'll help!
  4. Wes

November, 2018 NaNoWriMo

Agreed! I've been making up/ stealing stuff from Terry Pratchett and JK Rowling, running with the cosmic librarians, the time-travel plot mechanics and shape-shifting dog. Still puzzling over how that cat fits in, but I'm not too worried about it :D
  5. Wes

November, 2018 NaNoWriMo

Cool ideas! I wrote about a page of the boy's story, with many questions occurring as I went. I cheerfully ignored them at the time, but it would be helpful to hear what people think-- [Should it be autumn? realizing I need to look up East Midlands settings... A name for the village? And the...
  6. Wes

What'cha reading?

I'm working on a podcast about The Golden Compass by Philip Pullman, so I've been reading that again. I'm also looking for guests to talk to about it. Let me know if you're interested, or if you know of someone who might want to participate!
  7. Wes

Rereading Frank Herbert's Dune Saga...

Sorry, how do I find the guidelines? Also I ran across this and thought you might be interested in getting in touch with them: https://www.doofmedia.com/2018/10/04/october-book-club-selection-dune-by-frank-herbert/
  8. Wes

Good! I listened to some of the presentations that were posted so far. One of these years I'll try to make it in person
  9. Wes

July 2018 Camp NaNoWriMo

I made a project!
  10. Wes

July 2018 Camp NaNoWriMo

Just my name: wesley schantz
  11. Wes

Sorry, I have not yet found copies of the sequels. Is your essay coming together, Dom?
  12. Wes

On promises

So this came up in the discussion on Pullman's approach to faerian themes, in the reference back to Tolkien's great essay On Fairy Stories. (I didn't feel I ought to revive that thread, but the irony of just not posting something more about it after I said I would, would have been too much.)...
  13. Wes

Ok so hey, I've read the first book and I'll try to say some things that may bear on your topic here, how prescience gets around the predestination paradox, well said! I'm not into Game of Thrones, but I did like Dune. Just started listening to the mythgard series--so good! SPOILERS AHEAD...
  14. Wes

Re-reading the series - how many times? :)

I'm at around 5-10? Silmarillion and Unfinished Tales and most of his other stuff just once...I bow down to you all! And Tad Williams! Hey, I love those books, and I recently saw there's a new one at the library.
  15. Wes

Frodo's "default trusting" state

Good points about the initial bona fides and subsequent rascally act. I noticed this time through how much Strider is associated with shadows, the effect I guess being to demonstrate yet again that a more careful reading of Tolkien makes it clear how complex his characters and the whole good vs...
  16. Wes

Shoot, it is a sad thing for an author to die without finishing a series. I'm about 100 pages into Dune and could reasonably read/judiciously skim all 6 over the next few weeks, I'm hooked. I can see the political stuff as being quite salient. What angle are you interested in taking on it? I'm...
  17. Wes

I haven't read Dune before, but I have been meaning to for awhile. Don't know if I can commit to reading more than the first book at this point, but we'll see
  18. Wes

What about Philip Pullman?

That's very interesting you bring up Tolkien's great essay, Jim, and I tend to agree that Gaiman's story sounds like a keen interpretation of the spirit of it--a story, Smith of Wooton Major-esque, seems like the best way to enunciate an understanding of such a diffuse and complex text as On...
  19. Wes

What about Philip Pullman?

I'm giving your dismissal of books 2 and 3 a pass for now, sir, but you shall give me satisfaction hereafter :) Bitter theological baggage and contrived polemics, indeed! These are but the rough exterior rind of a marzipan-sweet fruit of poetic intellect... On to Faerie. Whatever that is in La...
Back