Search results

1. Arnorion

Evidence of Previous Visits

In episode 293 it was observed that the written records of Khazad-dum were likely written by the Dwarves after its fall in the year 1981 of the Third Age, over a thousand years before the Quest of Mount Doom, long enough for them to write it, for him to read it, and then forget some details...
  2. Arnorion

Session 7-01: A Look Ahead

Since the Easterlings move in as explicit overlords and take the current population as slaves, I don’t think there would be much deliberate attempt to bring the Beorians and Hadorians into the new dominant culture. They would probably resist by performing as expected by their new masters in...
  3. Arnorion

Session 7-02: The Scope of Season 7

How much of the Gondolin story line do we want to display in this season? I think it makes sense to show all the major threads of the continent more or less in timeline order as they are happening but I think there was talk of leaving Hurin and Huor’s whereabouts a secret (as they keep it secret...
  4. Arnorion

Frame Story for Season 7 and Beyond

Yup, I’m aware. I suspect there’s room to do more of that kind of thing. Umbar is roughly Egypt-south, but there’s a lot of continent further south than that. Plus his interactions with the dwarves that earned him the name Thrakun…
  5. Arnorion

There has been talk of the frame story finishing at about TA 3001 (the lead up to Bilbo’s big 111st birthday party) at the time that the main story finishes telling the events of the last centuries of the third age. That would allow us to do a frameless season for the great events of 3018-3019...
  6. Arnorion

Is there any concern about running out of third age timeline before we finish the first and second age stories? We might need to tell fourth age or other kinds of stories in the frame at the rate the elder days seasons are going…
  7. Arnorion

If we’re moving forward through the final years of the third age as before, then the frame story might be Thorongil in Rohan, which could certainly play to a theme of unity or even morning has come or opposing the enemy.
  8. Arnorion

Thanks @Odola , that rather convenient alignment had occurred to me as well. It would also not be difficult to sprinkle some of that elemental language into the scripts either: Hurin’s stone-hard will, he set his face like flint, Tuor perceived the tides of battle shifting, his morale reached...
  9. Arnorion

I don’t want to lean too hard on the Boromir/Faramir parallel but it’s instructive. They are not opposites, they have much in common but with some key differences. I like your idea that both Huor and Hurin are determined but their determination is different in character. We see that Hurin’s...
  10. Arnorion

I love the way, @Octoburn, that you’ve anchored the themes in the language of the characters themselves. The rest of our thoughts and ideas can be fitted into those headings and explored in the seasons they relate too, with those as guiding images: night is passing, day shall come again, now...
  11. Arnorion

Yes, the storyteller frames it up as a long defeat and the frequent commentary of the narrator queue even first time readers to expect tragedy, but we need not present it that way. And certainly the characters in those stories must make decisions which make sense given what they know or...
  12. Arnorion

The reason for the differing responses to the call for union could be assessment of timing. Some deem the time is ripe but others aren’t convinced. This could tie in nicely with changefulness of the season prior to the Beren and Luthien season. They have learned that the nature of middle earth...
  13. Arnorion

I would vote for tragic irony. She could believe her sons are already dead, possibly triggering terrible memories of her brothers’ death in similar circumstances. The audience might know they are captured but not slain, but she might be casting herself into the sea not in trust but despair. The...
  14. Arnorion

Regarding the theme I’m immediately attracted to Day Shall Come Again, but it would be odd for this to be the theme throughout the whole season as we build to that big moment in the Nirnaeth. That statement, almost a theological dogma, strikes me as Hurin’s response to his present circumstances...
  15. Arnorion

Yes, in this context we’d be going with Galadriel gifting the replacement Elessar to Aragorn. I love the idea off him getting the real deal but I talked myself into preferring the two-stone version instead.
  16. Arnorion

I see the risk of repeating the over-protective Elf-dad routine, and I could certainly get behind the alternative you suggest. Are you thinking then that Turgon gives the Elessar directly to Tuor who then gains Idril’s favor? This would be very symmetrical to Galadriel gives the Elessar to...
  17. Arnorion

I imagined that Turgon falls from his vision-inspired path a bit by becoming to enamored of Gondolin. He was resistant to his sister’s mission and came to regret it. He is anticipating a messenger from Ulmo but doesn’t expect it to be Edain. I bet it is Idril’s idea to bind herself to him which...
  18. Arnorion

"Passing of the Elves" at Dragon Con

Having participated in a few Easter processionals I can definitely appreciate the need to keep the back of the line synchronized and avoid pitch drift overall.
  19. Arnorion

"Passing of the Elves" at Dragon Con

This is fantastic! The singing is beautiful, even haunting, and the chiming bells are a brilliant touch.
  20. Arnorion

It could be a gift from Turgon to Idril, perhaps in memory of Aredhel. The king of Gondolin changes his heart and supports his daughter’s desire to engage with the peoples of Middle-earth in her own unique way, marrying one of the Edain. It is his wedding present to them and its power to restore...
Back