Search results

1. Arnorion

Evidence of Previous Visits

In episode 293 it was observed that the written records of Khazad-dum were likely written by the Dwarves after its fall in the year 1981 of the Third Age, over a thousand years before the Quest of Mount Doom, long enough for them to write it, for him to read it, and then forget some details...
  2. Arnorion

Is LotRO’s Tharbad still Aldarion’s city?

I love the idea that Tharbad is an ancient city that, not unlike Bree, has been claimed by a succession of kingdoms and repurposed sever times over the millennia. I realize that the game developers are telling their own version of the story but could we expect to see evidence of game-Tharbad...
  3. Arnorion

Blank Shield, session 218

Regarding the concern that the 2001 movie got it wrong by giving Boromir a plain shield without device, I’m not sure that Boromir’s shield would have been highly figured at all. The standard of the Stewards of Gondor was plain, a blank silver charge if I recall. It stands in stark contrast to...
  4. Arnorion

Surprising Statues

Apologies: I’ve been playing catch-up for a while since a big batch of episodes dropped in the podcast feed. In the field trip for episode 123 of Exploring LotR there was a statue in Tham Mirdain that seemed to be difficult to identify. A tall, male figure holding a sword and scepter but without...
  5. Arnorion

Longitudinal Studies - Help Needed

In one of the recent Exploring LOTR podcasts (episode 65 or 66 I think), Professor Olsen asked someone to start keeping tabs on the various subject raised that would be interesting to look at over time. I've jotted a few down here, mostly from memory but some of my own imagination, but it would...
  6. Arnorion

Speculating on Seven Stars

I'm a few weeks behind so I apologize if you've already resolved this, but in episode 45 (posted 18 Jan 18) Professor Olsen was wondering aloud about the significance of five stars vice seven on the ruined Cardolani fortifications in the far corner of the southern Barrow Downs. He went on to...
  7. Arnorion

Hyphenated-Halflings

I have a few somewhat belated thoughts on the matter of hyphenated hobbit names. I believe it came up in episode 25 or 26. The curious matter of the Sackville-Bagginses and their distinctive (and rather infamous) hyphenated family name. Lotho was actually the second generation to bear this...
  8. Arnorion

Low Bridge, Everybody Down

Much has been said in the last few episodes about the in-game design of the Baranduin Bridge, as well as the imagined but reasonably placed bridge at King's Crossing near the outflow of Nenuial. I agree that as the landed descendants of a seafaring culture the Dunedain of the North must have...
Back