Search results

1. Zephen12

The Dreadful Duty - A Divine Summons

Several of us had a side-conversation going on during class, so I figure I'd bring it to the fore here. My basic point: The dread Frodo feels is a self-preservation reaction to the self-sacrificial summons of Iluvatar/the Valar. Looking at the moments before Frodo volunteers to take the Ring...
  2. Zephen12

Session 5-08: Storylines of Men - Andreth and Barahir

Quick thought, might have missed it earlier in the comments. I was wondering if we have a clear excuse as to why Andreth wouldn't marry a man after Aegnor. Being bitter and heartbroken works, but it would seem odd from the perspective of the other humans (she wasn't with anybody as far as they...
  3. Zephen12

Session 5-01: Pre-production

I like Rhiannon’s theme of Learning/Understanding, particularly in its versatility. However, i would like some “gloom” mixed in too, given some of the tragedy that will occur. We could also go for contrasting themes such as Finding/Meeting and Losing. It works for the kindreds and couples...
  4. Zephen12

Istari vs. Maiar

I’ll leave the Prof to answer the larger question, but I will point out that Catholic doctrine would be that human beings are body and soul composites, and that the body and soul will be reunited in the afterlife (in other words, thoughts and emotions are still going to be there, but would be...
  5. Zephen12

Who's the FAIREST of Them All?

I wanted to make so many puns in that post, but fair to say, I refrained myself.
  6. Zephen12

Tolkien's Rare Character Descriptions - "What is essential is invisible to the eyes"

Hello Professor! I was struck by Tolkien's continued avoidance of physical descriptions of characters, and I thought it felt familiar. Do you think it fair to say that Tolkien is describing "essential matters" of which physical appearance does not account for much? Here is what I mean... In...
  7. Zephen12

Who's the FAIREST of Them All?

Note 1: Professor, I apologize for the length, but I dutifully answered your question without skimping. Feel free to skip to "Answering the Professor" or the “take-away” section I provided at the end for quick reference. Note 2: Before reading the results at the bottom of this post (covered by...
  8. Zephen12

Make way for Frodo, Lord of the Ring!

After this line, Gandalf grouching talks Pippin down, and Pip says something to the effect of Gandalf speaking like that often of late. Gandalf doesn’t strike me as one to be often proffering high-priority information, but it could be he had let mention something about Sauron or the “Lord of the...
  9. Zephen12

Good Guys Say "We," Sauron Says "Me"

A tangent from our class discussion, based off of Gandalf's line: "Still, we must keep us our courage." During class, our discussion touched upon Gandalf's use of "we" as indicative of his mission to inspire others to courage as well as identifying himself as one who will participate in the...
  10. Zephen12

of melting and magic and metals

Okay, but why the “new chain”? What was wrong with the old chain? I always assumed it was just getting an upgrade, a sturdier and more reliable chain for the road ahead. But is there an implication that the other chain was not fit for the task, or that it was somehow undone?
  11. Zephen12

Findegil and the Ford - a theory

I think turning songs into prose is a fascinating theory, and I will be paying close attention. Can we get an archive of poetic prose in LotR, a record of the times Tolkien gets “high and poetic”?
  12. Zephen12

On the Spell of Bottomless Dread

Some other ideas... Brief moments in which a character would flinch/squint and put a hand to their head as if they have a headache, potentially accompanied with a sound (very short) musical theme? This can happen when other characters aren't looking. Tears? I like the imagery that tears would...
  13. Zephen12

What ever happened in Hildorien?

It's been a long while since I've contributed, but I must say I liked the Professor's comments on Morgoth's first interactions with humanity focusing primarily on his voice and the light of the Silmarils. As Verlyn Flieger eloquently details in Splintered Light, the concepts of voice and light...
  14. Zephen12

Tracked Items

I have been trying to track a bit on this document. Would gladly share editing rights with others who would like to contribute. Same goes for this spreadsheet, tracking the use of hyphenated words. Who had the chart for class progress and pages-per-chapter that the Professor put on screen...
  15. Zephen12

Frodo's Defiance at the Ford

I’ll just say that I think Frodo acting upon “fear and anger” IS giving into the Witch-King. After the “do not go” commando is the “come here” command, and I think the description is more sinister than may seem. The good guys do tend to do what is good rather than what is useful EXCEPT when the...
  16. Zephen12

Frodo's Defiance at the Ford

Hmm, split opinion for me. I very much agree with ForthDauntless in that the drawing of the sword in anger was a bad move. I know the Professor approved of it during class, but I disagree with the interpretation. Given the description, it seems that Frodo drawing his sword is a result of "fear...
  17. Zephen12

Why is Aragorn showing joy at seeing Glorfindel

I hadn't thought of Aragorn being "more receptive" of the hope and spiritual strengthening than Glorfindel is exuding - I like it, and I think it is quite plausible! (Also, "slapping them spiritually" is a great description of scaring off the Ringwraiths. I would think the likes of Aragorn and...
  18. Zephen12

What is an elf-horse?

My vote is that it is either raised by elves or is of "higher stature" than normal horses. Asfaloth just seems dignified in a special way. I think a regular horse that is taken in and cared by elves would be elevated in its horsiness, but I do not think it would ever be on the same level as...
  19. Zephen12

Clips and Clops

So, I'm not sure if there is any extravagant insight in this post, but it is a curiosity that I thought I'd share. So far Tolkien has used four onomatopoeic words to describe the sound of horses on the road: clip-clop (used twice), clippety-clip, clippety-clippety-clip, and clop-clop (used...
  20. Zephen12

Glorfindel's bells (or I suppose Asfaloth's bells)

Pulling material from later in the book (*gasp* a full three pages), I can confirm that there are bells on Asfaloth himself. Whether Glorfindel is also wearing bells is undetermined. I think that the bells are a positive weapon, but not a formidable one. If nothing else, the speed of Asfaloth is...
Back