Search results

1. Gravidy

"Into the Storm" - Nightfall in Middle-Earth Comment

YouTube tends to do a better job with copyrighted content, but it can still put constraints on the video. However, it all depends on the relationship between YouTube and the rights-holder. (I stream Rocksmith, which runs headlong into this problem as well ... I won't post the image here, but you...
  2. Gravidy

Compass directions and capitalization

I have to admit I'm a bit surprised at the controversy around the capitalization of compass directions. At some point I learned that you capitalize a compass direction when it refers to a specific geographic region (making it a proper noun), but not when it refers to a direction. (I thought this...
  3. Gravidy

Field Trip Suggestion: Orc culture and politics

It would be interesting to look at SSG's depiction of the global collection of orcs and their cultural and political structure, and compare that to what is actually canon (I suspect it's almost entirely non-canon). I'm especially interested in a closer look at which orcs align with which power...
  4. Gravidy

Grass and rain-water

When Tom wakes the hobbits on the first morning in his house he says "If you come soon you'll find breakfast on the table. If you come late you'll get grass and rain-water!" Obviously this is a jest. But I love how the chosen alternative for coming late is the what was likely fed to the ponies...
  5. Gravidy

The role of the author in interpretation

I agree and really like this perspective as well. To me, this quote from On Fairy-Stories is relevant (speaking about "Faërie: The Perilous Realm")... I will not attempt to define that, nor to describe it directly. It cannot be done. Faërie cannot be caught in a net of words; for it is one of...
  6. Gravidy

Epic battels

Summer has been great, even with the incredible disruption to middle-earth activities. I'm definitely up for more EBs, or any other type of regularly-scheduled group content. Saturday seemed to work given our geographic diversity (although, this saturday is out for me, as summer isn't quite...
  7. Gravidy

Sam's Resilience to Old Man Willow's Spell

Could be because Sam is a gardener, and he has more power over plant-life than plant-life has over him.
  8. Gravidy

Epic battels

I really enjoyed them too. I find the voice chat with everybody adds a lot. Not just for coordination, it's also fun to hear the occasional "aww crap" as well (like when we never killed the bosses fast enough). I'd love to do the group content regularly. I'm unsure if I can make it next...
  9. Gravidy

Epic battels

Saturday works for me as well. I'll be around this coming Saturday, either as Helting or Hurstor, both in Mythgard. I'm even more online on Discord (as Gravidy).
  10. Gravidy

Epic battels

> When would be best for everyone? I am available 9pm - 2am on weekdays and noon - 3am on weekends. Those times are server time (ET in the U.S.). In UTC those times are 1am - 5am weekdays, and 4pm - 7am on weekends. (wow, those times are inconvenient, I'm going to have to move east ;)).
  11. Gravidy

Epic battels

I'd be glad to help NotACat. Although, given I'm 8 hours behind, that means on the weekend. Chances are you can find help before then :). It sounds like there might be some interest in doing EB at scale. Maybe we should try and organize some 3,6,12 person battles?
  12. Gravidy

Let's group up for scavenging!

I really enjoyed my part in Alayaule's scavenging. It was actually quite fun trying to drag low level characters through different areas. Although, I'm sure it must have frustrating given there's naught to do but run and hide, with few places to run, and fewer to hide o_O. I think I only had 3...
  13. Gravidy

Let's group up for scavenging!

I'm curious if there is enough interest to try and get a group together to finish off Year 7 Trifles? This is the set of raids, where you have to emote some boss within the raid. Froring (I think?) and I (Helting) tried to do a few of these a couple weeks ago, but had no luck. I bigger group is...
  14. Gravidy

Epic battels

It's probably when the Dunlandings attack the tower, as I believe they engage Gamling (and will kill him). I've lost that EB that way once. This is an epic strategy (pun intended). I definitely have to try this. Although, I'll probably watch it :confused:.
  15. Gravidy

Epic battels

Epic battles are not easy. Not having promotion points makes them even harder (making it difficult to get promotion points). There are also specific things that must be done to win certain battles, but the game doesn't really reveal what those are (e.g., taking out the enemy catapults in Deeping...
  16. Gravidy

Epic battels

Thanks to Fin, I now know I'm not the only person in-game that enjoys EBs :). I can help out too, if you see me in Discord or in game (Hurstor or Helting), just send me a message.
  17. Gravidy

The behaviour of the nazgul

A quick note to thank you for the thoughtful response to this in the last class. I find the nazgul very interesting, probably because we don't have a lot of explanation about them in the text. I have more questions about them, but that'll have to wait until 2022, which is when we should get to...
  18. Gravidy

The behaviour of the nazgul

In a previous class, when we discussed the nazgul's interactions with Maggot, a question came up about the nazgul's behaviour. Specifically, why was the nazgul being "polite" to Maggot? The discussion can be seen here. I think it's possible that this nazgul is feigning politeness. I find it...
  19. Gravidy

Punishing Sam Properly

A bit of an aside on this subject. LotRO has a wonderful bit of story around this idea. ... and I just typed and then deleted a large post about it, because it was full of spoilers, and I just couldn't force myself to do it. It's in the epic quest, and it's a wonderful bit of story to...
  20. Gravidy

In the farmer's kitchen

No question here, just a thought. While this isn't a significant insight, it is one of the most relate-able (to tie it to another thread) little tidbits in the text we've covered so far, at least for me. "They went into the farmer’s kitchen. ... After a few remarks about the weather and the...
Back