Search results

1. Gravidy

Compass directions and capitalization

I have to admit I'm a bit surprised at the controversy around the capitalization of compass directions. At some point I learned that you capitalize a compass direction when it refers to a specific geographic region (making it a proper noun), but not when it refers to a direction. (I thought this...
  2. Gravidy

Field Trip Suggestion: Orc culture and politics

It would be interesting to look at SSG's depiction of the global collection of orcs and their cultural and political structure, and compare that to what is actually canon (I suspect it's almost entirely non-canon). I'm especially interested in a closer look at which orcs align with which power...
  3. Gravidy

Grass and rain-water

When Tom wakes the hobbits on the first morning in his house he says "If you come soon you'll find breakfast on the table. If you come late you'll get grass and rain-water!" Obviously this is a jest. But I love how the chosen alternative for coming late is the what was likely fed to the ponies...
  4. Gravidy

The behaviour of the nazgul

In a previous class, when we discussed the nazgul's interactions with Maggot, a question came up about the nazgul's behaviour. Specifically, why was the nazgul being "polite" to Maggot? The discussion can be seen here. I think it's possible that this nazgul is feigning politeness. I find it...
  5. Gravidy

In the farmer's kitchen

No question here, just a thought. While this isn't a significant insight, it is one of the most relate-able (to tie it to another thread) little tidbits in the text we've covered so far, at least for me. "They went into the farmer’s kitchen. ... After a few remarks about the weather and the...
  6. Gravidy

Question about Mythmoot

I'm wondering how academic Mythmoot is? I'm considering going, but I've never been involved in any kind of literary activity or event before, and I'm trying to determine if it's appropriate for my level of knowledge. Would it be worthwhile for someone who just recently learned the word "retcon"...
  7. Gravidy

Osgiliath Ashes and Stars quests

In a never-ending endeavor to complete everything, I would like to get all my trait points on one of my level capped characters. He is Helting, a 105 minstrel. This is the quest that grants the trait point, they start in the Osgiliath culverts (I've always went in from the "before battle...
  8. Gravidy

Some screenshots from the first class

I'll just put the imgur collection here. If anyone wants any pictures, and imgur won't give you the full size, let me know and I will get it to you. https://imgur.com/a/bh0dV
Back