Search results

1. M

Eärendil poem - "jewels wan"

I recently read Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik which has (among other points) a kind of elvish race of Staryk. In one scene they are described with a clear ranking where the lowest social ranks (servants, carriage drivers, etc) have brightly colored gems (rubies, emeralds), and then in a...
  2. M

Memories of a troubled dream

Or are we seeing the influence of one of the three on the hand of one of the great among elves in his seat of power? It's a bit more explicit in Lothlórien, but you could describe a very similar effect with the first quoted sentence.
  3. M

Frodo's view of Bilbo when asked for the Ring

I tried to put this into the wording "ring-induced shadow", much like the "ring-induced monologues" are not the Ring itself speaking. But that's not really the main topic of my question, which was more on the how than who: What similarities are there to other visions under the influence of evil?
  4. M

Frodo's view of Bilbo when asked for the Ring

Please feel free to ignore if this has already been discussed, I'm only up to date in the podcast feed where ep114 is the last release as of today. In ep114 the discussion on Frodo seeing Bilbo as a little wrinkled creature with a hungry face with and bony groping hands, I was both struck with...
  5. M

Further musings on Tom Bombadil

Well, he did "chose for himself from the pile a brooch set with blue stones, many-shaded like flax-flowers or the wings of blue butterflies." so he could have a "a pretty toy for Tom and for his lady". From this passage it seems like he does appreciate the artifact for both its beauty and the...
  6. M

Ooh, I really like this take. I'm just not sure that I'd phrase it as magicking the appearance of clothing though, rather as using music to make a change in reality to turn living flowers or sky and sunlight into actual clothing. This way it is a creative act inspired by nature, not a...
  7. M

Yes, but there are better documented cases of creation by singing, Lúthien is the one that springs to my mind (well, outside of the Valar). Not out of thin air, but with the power of song rather than needle and thread.
  8. M

True, I did go too far. Just because my reading of that quote doesn't exclude it, doesn't mean it is good support for it.
  9. M

So, in episode forever ago, when we said goodbye to Tom Bombadil, class was discussing his general activities: The conclusion I most clearly remember from Corey was that this is a good argument for this being distinct activities, and in particular that Tom's making and singing being two...
  10. M

Goldberry's cleaning day

So, finally caught up, and I mostly want to talk about really old stuff, so posting here.. In the episodes around Goldberry's cleaning day, there was no real consensus what exactly she was cleaning. I agree with the episode conclusions that she's spirit of water lilies (and possibly other...
  11. M

On Tom Bombadil's brief history of time

Sorry, I didn't mean to reopen that old discussion, I thought this was settled by Corey in class, but I guess there might still be opinions on that. :) My point was just that since Tom says he "was here before the river and the trees", "made paths before the Big People", and "knew the dark...
  12. M

If Tom was in the first group among the Ainur to go down into the world, then he would have been around and (most likely) awake for quite some time before the elf-sires woke by the lake-shore, there was certainly lots of Vala and Maia action going on before then including the building and...
  13. M

Hi, I'm catching up in the podcast feed as fast as I can (just got to Bree), and if this is concerning things too far in the past feel free to ignore for the class. I couldn't see any recommendations for time window for questions here vs "Let's talk..", but please point me that way if this is...
Back