Search results

1. M

Eärendil poem - "jewels wan"

I recently read Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik which has (among other points) a kind of elvish race of Staryk. In one scene they are described with a clear ranking where the lowest social ranks (servants, carriage drivers, etc) have brightly colored gems (rubies, emeralds), and then in a...
  2. M

Frodo's view of Bilbo when asked for the Ring

Please feel free to ignore if this has already been discussed, I'm only up to date in the podcast feed where ep114 is the last release as of today. In ep114 the discussion on Frodo seeing Bilbo as a little wrinkled creature with a hungry face with and bony groping hands, I was both struck with...
  3. M

Further musings on Tom Bombadil

So, in episode forever ago, when we said goodbye to Tom Bombadil, class was discussing his general activities: The conclusion I most clearly remember from Corey was that this is a good argument for this being distinct activities, and in particular that Tom's making and singing being two...
  4. M

Goldberry's cleaning day

So, finally caught up, and I mostly want to talk about really old stuff, so posting here.. In the episodes around Goldberry's cleaning day, there was no real consensus what exactly she was cleaning. I agree with the episode conclusions that she's spirit of water lilies (and possibly other...
  5. M

On Tom Bombadil's brief history of time

Hi, I'm catching up in the podcast feed as fast as I can (just got to Bree), and if this is concerning things too far in the past feel free to ignore for the class. I couldn't see any recommendations for time window for questions here vs "Let's talk..", but please point me that way if this is...
Back