Search results

1. Anthony Lawther

Stars versus Sun and Moon

Listening to Episode 227 (trying to catch up again) Corey was interested in the difference between the stars and the Sun and Moon (and Eärendil’s star). The points raised all seemed quite cogent, but one difference that I think is significant didn’t get mentioned: The ‘fixed’ stars are the work...
  2. Anthony Lawther

Outcomes for the Elven Ringbearers

I missed the live class for Episode 184 due to work reasons and have only just listened to it. Corey spent much time pondering the passage 'But all that has been wrought by those who wield the Three will turn to their undoing, and their minds and hearts will become revealed to Sauron, if he...
  3. Anthony Lawther

A thought on the nature of the Rings of Power

I posted in a necro-thread because the context seemed appropriate, but I now recognize that the forum has it hidden away. To retain the context, while making it more visible, I’ll post a link to it here Link
  4. Anthony Lawther

Where next for field trips?

I took the trouble to go through and confirm where we've been for field trips so far. While most of Eriador has been covered, with some areas covered more thoroughly than others, we haven't actually covered the Misty Mountains apart from Goblintown. There are many Dwarven and Giantish ruins...
  5. Anthony Lawther

Seven Rings for the Dwarven Kings....

In a number of discussions to this point, the number of Rings and their recipients seems to be taken as happening by design, as described in the Ring-rhyme. I wondered what evidence there was for this, and haven't found anything truly satisfying. This blog entry draws an interesting conclusion...
  6. Anthony Lawther

Elrond: crowned with many winters

Listening to Episode 107 (catching up slower than some) the class seemed to reach no resolution regarding Elrond being "crowned with many winters", and an allusion to "kind as Christmas" was invoked. Being from the Southern Hemisphere, we don't make an automatic association of Christmas with...
  7. Anthony Lawther

Gandalf's assertions regarding Rings of Power and the creation of wraiths

Listening to Episode 67 it occurred to me that Gandalf makes certain assumptions about the affect of the One Ring on its bearers. We know that the Nine Rings turn their mortal bearers into wraiths and have around 700 years at the outside to achieve this. Gollum on the other hand possessed the...
  8. Anthony Lawther

"Bree-blood in the Brandybucks" and the change of Thain

In Episode 47 (yes, I'm still that far behind) the text being covered (Book 1 Ch 9) explained that "There was Bree-blood in the Brandybucks by all accounts." It had also been explained previously that Gorhendad Oldbuck, then the Thain of the Shire, moved himself and his kin across the...
  9. Anthony Lawther

Fatty's family relationships

I'm only 73 episodes behind, so wouldn't expect this to be addressed on the stream, but in listening to episode 21 I noticed that Corey stated that Merry and Pippin are aristocracy and Frodo and Fatty are only semi-aristocracy. Is this due to their perceived distance in line of succession from...
Back