Search results

1. A

Of Orcs and Their Torches

So, why do y'all think the orcs consistently carry torches in this show? The obvious TV logic reason is to provide light for the viewers, but given how careful the writers have been with lore overall, and the fact that Third Age orcs are said to have "night eyes" (Aragorn on the Anduin) and...
  2. A

Chronology and Gandalf decoy plan

Forgive my ignorance of the map, which may make this a ridiculous point, but is it possible that, by the time he knows that the Riders have given up chasing him, they're already so far into the Ettinmoors that the Ford is simply closer than the Bridge? That's the only way I see his assumption...
  3. A

After some serious thought I would say that my answer is essentially the same as to the Ford question: what do you expect Gandalf to do about the Last Bridge? I see the same problems with him simply camping out there, as I do with him either camping in front of the Ford or sending some elves to...
  4. A

I think part of the reason is that Gandalf himself minimizes it. Perhaps when he mentions drawing off four of the Nazgul, that included drawing them off of the Last Bridge, although why he wouldn't emphasize that, I don't know.
  5. A

First, regarding the discrepancy between the main body of the text and Appendix B, Gandalf says Frodo bore the splinter for 17 days, while the journey from Weathertop seems to have taken one day less than that. Could it be possible that his treatment lasted long enough to cross a date boundary...
  6. A

Solstice Poetry Followup

Having just realized that I completely flaked out on the solstice poetry reading (I appreciate that another reader stepped in to present my submission anyway, and I apologize for the inconvenience) I wanted to offer to give the introduction I was going to give at the reading here instead. My...
  7. A

Series concept: Writer's Toolbox

I put "Writer's Toolbox" in the subject line so you would recognize it. Let me if I need to resend it.
  8. A

I sent you an email, but my email is still registered under my dead name FYI.
  9. A

Yes that is about it. And you're welcome to present on other Mythgard people's work if that's what's inspired you. The idea came in part from my experience delving into the Jack Kerouac School of Disembodied Poetics audio archive, which is all online (though listed under "Naropa Institute...
  10. A

Series idea: Writer's Toolbox

I posted this in the "Special Interests" forum already, but that area is fairly unfrequented now so I thought I'd repost it here. I also recognize that I may not have done a great job explaining my idea or how it would actually work, and I'm happy to clarify/explicate as needed. Would anyone...
  11. A

Would anyone else be interested in a seminar series on smaller pieces (songs, short poems and perhaps ocassional excerpts from longer ones) from a writer's perspective (i.e. with a view to the use of techniques and the creative process as well as ways other writers might repurpose said methods...
  12. A

Of Orc counting and incomplete knowledge

I feel obliged to mention, in connection with the orc question, that human pilots fighting other humans have gleefully counted kills since the beginning of combat aviation (which was in WWI, and thus potentially within Tolkien's knowledge). Neither I nor Tolkien am completely comfortable with...
  13. A

Orcs and the cycle of abuse

While Corey is right that there is no perfect solution to the orc problem, here is the one I've settled on, which, as far as I've seen, has yet to be brought up. Basically it comes down to the difference between redemption being a theoretical possibility and a practicable reality. While, in an...
  14. A

Possible Paper Topic: Tolkien and the Beats

The Christopher Tolkien memorial symposium has re-inspired me to think about comparisons between Tolkien and the Beat writers, specifically because I think they are the closest example we have of another author for whom there is possibly as much documentation of the creative process as there is...
  15. A

The Baggins Uncertainty Principle

This may be venturing too far into areas of the text we haven't reached yet, in which case, feel free to repost it in the General area. I had never thought about it before but Ijust realized that Sauron may never actually know that the "Baggins" he heard about from Gollum and the "Baggins" the...
  16. A

Expanding to other genres?

So I've finally just accepted that MMOs/RPGs in general aren't my thing. While I enjoyed playing through the Shire and some of the other early areas, the actual meat of the gameplay (particularly combat) became steadily more of an annoyance until I eventually decided it wasn't worth slogging...
  17. A

Garth Agarwen Instances

I've made it up to the big spate of Garth Agarwen Fellowship Quests (Grimbark etc.) Anyone have some appropriate alts that could benefit from running through it? Time Zone-wise I'm in EST but also currently free of serious schedule obligations, so I can probably accommodate most people...
  18. A

Errantry beats

Here are my suggestions for possible beats to rap "Errantry" to 1: The closing monologue of Kanye West's "Power Remix" (about 2:20 on this vid) 2: One of Tech Nine's "Choppers" tracks (One is called "Worldwide Choppers" but I know there are at least 1 or 2 others) 3: One of The Game's "x00...
  19. A

Fellowship quest/instance cleanup

Here are the various Fellowship quests and instances I have on my plate at the moment Thadur (Great Barrow( to get second half of skull key Heading West (Great Barrow) Kill fell spirits locked behind skull door (hence Thadur) A Call to Dwarves: Rescue Dori from Dourhands Call to Men: Defense...
  20. A

Hit a wall

Ok, cool. I'm pretty free for now so just let me know when you want me to make myself available. And yes, I always do all the quests in all the areas. The problem is that, for the first time, I've caught up to myself. I always plenty of lower level quests to do before and could wait to do any...
Back