Search results

1. Cirthrin

Thorin's Hall delving

AFAIK, the Dourhands and Skorgrim are a LOTRO-specific invention. The Silmarillion offers no details as for the awakening places of the ancestors of the dwarven clans, but there is some information in Of Dwarves and Men (The History of Middle-earth Volume 12, The Peoples of Middle-earth). The...
  2. Cirthrin

Pippin's name

The source of this translation is one of Tolkien's letters (#168 to be exact), wherein he writes: ’Peregrin is, of course, a real modern name, though it means ’traveller in strange countries’. Frodo is a real name from the Germanic tradition. Its Old English form was Fróda. Its obvious...
  3. Cirthrin

The other Great Rings

Well, even without the Rings of Power, the Dwarves had a "materialistic streak", as their Seven Ancestors were created by the impatient Aule, who was THE master-smith, working rock, metal, and gemstones.
  4. Cirthrin

Is there power in sorrow?

Indeed! "And thou, Melkor, shalt see that no theme may be played that hath not its uttermost source in me, nor can any alter the music in my despite. For he that attempteth this shall prove but mine instrument in the devising of things more wonderful, which he himself hath not imagined."
  5. Cirthrin

Discussion: Bilbo as the only one to give up the Ring

I think in the case of Galadriel we need to consider that she and Celebrimbor (who crafted Nenya), both Noldor, had known each other literally for Ages. Celebrimbor and Galadriel were over 2 millenia old when he died in the Second Age. There are different versions of their relation in Tolkien's...
  6. Cirthrin

Is there power in sorrow?

A common theme in many Sagas is the rise of the hero despite (or thanks to?) sorrow and challenge: Beowulf, Edda, Grimm's German Sagas. The Silmarillion, The Hobbit, The LOTR are in many ways an hommage to this tradition. As for sorrow containing power, this passage in Ainulindalë - when the...
  7. Cirthrin

The other Great Rings

The Mirdain, the Noldor Elven smiths of Eregion studied under Annatar for 3 centuries. At the end of that period, the 16 were forged by the Noldor in a period of about 10 years. I think the "virus in the firmware" analogy is incorrect, since even the Three (never touched or known to Sauron when...
  8. Cirthrin

The other Great Rings

All 19 Rings of Power were created by the Elves of Eregion, with knowledge provided by Annatar (Sauron in disguise). At first the Elves created some lesser rings, which were trials before their mastery of the craft. Then the Greater 16 Rings of Power were crafted by the Elves under Sauron's...
  9. Cirthrin

JRRT as a hobbit

Did he not primarily identify with Beren Erchamion, and his wife with Luthien Tinuviel ? He requested his oldest son to engrave these names on his tombstone:
  10. Cirthrin

What does the Ring do?

Besides what is described in the lore, I've often wondered if he did not partially craft the One Ring considering that his master, Morgoth, was banned from Arda after being defeated by the Valar. Perhaps Sauron also sought to "anchor" his being in Arda so that the same could not happen to him -...
  11. Cirthrin

Hommage NPC names in LOTRO

Sorry, doesn't ring a bell. Is that a LOTRO reference?
  12. Cirthrin

Hommage NPC names in LOTRO

As a LOTRO lifer, I've always been very impressed with the effort the game devs have put into naming game elements that are not in the canon per se, such as the street and instance names of the housing areas to name but one example. There are however some hidden jewels in NPC names that are...
  13. Cirthrin

Leveling up for new players

I have a dozen alts on Laurelin EU (life sub)...I don't know if you're planning sessions on EU servers? If so, when you see a toon from Kinship "Sinome Maruvan", that's me, just ask, happy to help. Also, I'm rolling some new toons on Landroval, my main is level 40ish now but I'm an altoholic...
  14. Cirthrin

To Narnion

In Tolkien's first draft, Bilbo's birthday was actually Sept. 20th. I know of no indication as to why he changed it. Sept 22nd is the passing between Halimath (Harvestmath) and Winterfilth (Wintring) in the Shire Calendar, equinox in our Calendar, i.e. the days start to grow shorter. In...
  15. Cirthrin

Beginner Questions

In Ainulindalë, to let the music of the Ainur come into existence, Iluvatar says: "Eä, let these things be!". Think of Eä as the universe, as there are regions outside of Arda - for example the place where Morgoth gets banned to. Arda is a bit more dubious - you could interpret it as the world...
  16. Cirthrin

To Narnion

"The original language of the Hobbits is lost to history, as their specific origins. The earliest known historical location of the Hobbits is in the upper vales of Anduin and while there, they must have had some contact with the Éothéod, who lived in the same area. Thus the earliest known...
  17. Cirthrin

Pronouncing Archet

Most likely from Old English ar-cæt, meaning 'forest's edge'. As for pronunciation, in Old English, 'c' can be pronounced as 'k' (e.g. cyning = king) or 'ch' (cild = child). In this case, 'c' followed by 'æ', it would have been pronounced as 'ch'. And yes, in that case 'Chetwood' is...
Back