Search results

1. Gordy N. Knott

Mate of Orcrist

One word Corey didn’t dwell on is “mate.” In what way are they mates? They were both of Gondolin, yes. They were both found together in the troll horde. And both were shown to and discussed with Elrond. But in The Hobbit there’s there’s no indication they both belonged to the king of Gondolin...
  2. Gordy N. Knott

The Mortality of Wizards

This question is a bit silly, but it has been fun for me to think through lately. Consider these words of Saruman: “. . . our time is at hand: the world of Men, which we must rule.” I wonder if another possible reading is that wizards must rule because they are, in a sense, men as well, though...
  3. Gordy N. Knott

Does Radagast's Message Reveal Saruman's Shrewd Guess?

It seems to me very likely that Saruman suspects Gandalf is just foolishly hiding the ring and has not brought it or claimed it. (He can’t be sure though, so he tests Gandalf when they speak). After all, how effective would Radagast’s message to Gandalf have been if Gandalf wielded the ring? Can...
  4. Gordy N. Knott

Círdan, Narya and the Wizards' Colors

I've got a few questions I'd like feedback on. I'm posting them separately. First . . . I wonder if Círdan naturally understood what the wizards’ colors meant. Or perhaps one of the Astari explained it to him when they arrived? Just because most folks in Middle-earth don’t seem to understand...
  5. Gordy N. Knott

Elrond's Hobbitry

I think we haven't yet explored Elrond's hobbitry deeply enough. Surely we don't think that the Council of Elrond is the first time Bilbo and Elrond have discussed the casting of poems. If you really wanted to hear Bilbo snort properly, you should have been a fly on the wall when Elrond...
  6. Gordy N. Knott

Bilbo and Frodo: A Sequel Story?

I will finally catch up this week after three months of very long dog walks. Now to find a way to be free on class night for the next couple of decades. I hope this question is still relevant to class conversation, but we’ll see. Lately I’ve been pondering what I sometimes see as the strange...
Back