Search results

1. T

Beyond the Index: a future for the Mythgard HoME discussion

With the recent (from the current Morgoth's Ring discussion) comments in Mythgard Academy about what can come next after The War of the Jewels and The Peoples of Middle-earth (and the joke that it might be the Index volume) I thought that it might be a good idea to point out that there's a next...
  2. T

Of Sheep and Shepherds

Having read your post I first wondered how you could have misunderstood my post so much and now I see I forgot an "S" in there. What I meant to say was that "SOMEONE WHO KNOWS THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN MORTALS AND IS NOT A MORTAL IS A SHEPHERD". So no, we are in complete agreement here - a shepherd...
  3. T

Of Sheep and Shepherds

And adding it completely misses the point. I consciously left it out because it doesn't contain what it should contain to be pertinent in this case, namely any mention of knowledge, of the ability to differentiate between sheep. To put it in somewhat Lakoffian terms, there are two distinct...
  4. T

Of Sheep and Shepherds

Neither does it mean that Tolkien was making a Biblical reference. Sometimes a pipe is just a pipe - as a shepherd is just a shepherd here. There is nothing in this image to suggest any Biblical association. To show it more clearly, I'll say that the first thing to do is to check this KJV search...
  5. T

Of Sheep and Shepherds

I have a lot to say about this whole topic as I am of the opinion that seeing a Biblical reference here is reading something into the text which wasn't intended in it. There's a lot of Biblical references in LOTR but this just isn't one of them. However this is not what the main topic of my...
  6. T

A Wizard of Earthsea

Regarding the pronounciation of Ogion which was discussed/the topic of a poll in Session 2: Le Guin actually adressed this several times and had a strong opinion about it: (from her webpage) and (from the Locus) So the intuition was correct and the Robert Inglis audiobook is incorrect here.
Back