Search results

1. G

Gandalf and Narya (Ep. 178)

Listening to Ep. 178 on my way into work today I was interested in Corey's comment about the one place where he was sure Gandalf was using the power of Narya. The answer he gave - during the siege of Minas Tirith - was a good one, but it surprised me because I was certain he was going to say...
  2. G

What is the Redhorn Gate?

In episode 243, Corey asks what exactly is the Redhorn Gate? Tolkien being Tolkien, I'd like to propose an etymological solution. The English word "gate", defined in the OED as "An opening in a wall, made for the purpose of entrance and exit, and capable of being closed by a movable barrier ..."...
  3. G

Gandalf's Rudeness to Theoden

I'm currently on episode 169 and trying to picture the testy exchange between Gandalf, Theoden and Wormtongue which ends with Gandalf "borrowing" Shadowfax. But I can't get out of my head the idea of Gandalf at some point saying "To think that I should live to be good-morninged by a King of Rohan."
  4. G

Is the Council of Elrond a One-off Event?

We know that Elrond has councillors, of whom Erestor is the chief, which suggests (without quite proving it) that Elrond also has a Council which perhaps meets bi-weekly to discuss the latest plumbing arrangements and so on. So are we meant to understand "The Council of Elrond" as an ongoing...
  5. G

A Gondorian Love Triangle

Just listening to Episode 133 and what struck me most was how, thanks to Corey's careful analysis, I was made aware for the first time of the brilliance and subtlety with which Tolkien introduces the complexity of the Denethor/Boromir/Faramir relationship. Of course when Tolkien first wrote this...
  6. G

Episode 104?

It does matter much in the big scheme of things but does anyone have any idea why Episode 104 doesn't appear on my podcast feed? It's right there on https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/the-tolkien-professor/id1437953157?mt=2 and in the rss feed, but doesn't show up in Podcast Republic for some...
Back