Search results

1. NancyL

Christmas Adaptations Recommendation

This might be a stretch, but there was a book published at the same time it premiered: A Miracle on 34th Street. It's been done/redone five times.
  2. NancyL

Till We Have Faces - Ugliness

I'm a little behind in listening, but the whole issue of whether Psyche's husband is ugly as a reason for hiding in darkness seems spectacularly silly. If anyone would love an ugly person, it would be Psyche. The fact that this blazingly obvious fact occurs neither to her sister or her guard...
  3. NancyL

Empire Photos

I'd like to submit a different interpretation of the dwarf photo ... I believe it is more likely a banquet scene. The reason Durin doesn't have a goblet in front of him is that it would be placed to our left (out of frame) on the other side of the platter of food. Also thrones don't generally...
  4. NancyL

Despite JRRT's extensive explanation, Manwë is still a putz

I listened and agree with everything Professor Corey/JRRT said about freeing and forgiving Melkor. But that entire discussion failed to address the oliphaunt in the room: all the other people Manwë is supposed to be king of. If he has a responsibility to be lawful/fair/forgiving to Melkor...
  5. NancyL

A thought on Output

I was thinking how nice it would be to start from a book (visually on-screen at least) and have our output (at least a part of it) based on that model/image. You are all familiar i'm sure with annotated editions of classics: the story being printed in the center of the book, while various notes...
  6. NancyL

Frodo's Heart's Desire

I think i'm having a "American Modern Person" moment. I just can't seem to wrap my head about Frodo's desire to settle down with Bilbo (either in Rivendell or the Shire). Imagine any other orphan, adopted by a wonderful old fellow who raises you and then leaves all his stuff to you when he...
  7. NancyL

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress (2)

Two things from first class: 1. Bog = God in Russian (BTW a popular expression is Bozhe Moy!! = My God!!) (My High School Russian keeps coming in handy.) 2. We're assuming that the world described in this book is our world. I don't think this is a true assumption. For one thing the Wet...
  8. NancyL

The Moon is a Harsh Mistress

I'm 17 chapters in, and I think it would be really helpful if someone can put their hands on a Glossary for this book. I'm relying on my High School Russian, but it's not covering all of the slang.
  9. NancyL

Comedia Kickstarter

La Divina Commedia – The New Manuscript by George D. Cochrane — Kickstarter
  10. NancyL

New Dracula Kickstarter Project

I just signed up for the hardcover book, but thought i'd share: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/beehivebooks/dracula-the-evidence-hardcover-edition?ref=user_menu
  11. NancyL

Unfinished Tales: Gifts of the Valar to Men

If long life is an odd gift for the Valar to give to Men, what would be an appropriate gift(s)? 1. Don't ban men from the Undying Lands. The "one forbidden thing" is a classic trope that is guaranteed to cause problems. Why not just put a PSA on it? "Spending time in the Undying Lands is...
  12. NancyL

Morgoth's Ring: Feanor in the Halls of Mandos

We like to enjoy Feanor's doom to be stuck in Mandos till the end of Arda, but after listening to the Customs of the Eldar it struck me: why would Feanor (of all elves) consent to return to Valdemar at all? Are we talking about the same Feanor? But then I thought ... well maybe not. I've...
  13. NancyL

Modern Readers

Professor, have you ever published your opinion about modern readers and the way they look for people who look like them in order to relate to the work they are reading? You've talked about it several times during Mythgard Academy courses and I found it very interesting. I'd like to be able...
  14. NancyL

Faramir/Boromir's Dream

When Faramir started getting his prophetic dream, he and Boromir were in/near Ithilien fighting a losing battle which ended in the destruction of the bridge of Osgiliath. This means the two had ample opportunity to discuss what the dream was, what it meant, how much/whether they believed in its...
  15. NancyL

Warden Gambits 101

I got into a chat the other day with people who were saying that "Warden is too hard". I responded that, by converting Gambits into Key Strokes, you could do the half dozen you use all the time into 2-3 keystrokes. Attached is the result. Notes: 1. Before Level 21 you should focus on...
  16. NancyL

Arwen's canopy at the feast

I remembered something about canopies at a feast from Ivanhoe. I checked and they did have a T-shaped table with a cloth of gold canopy at Cedric the Saxon's feast at the beginning of the book, but it was only to keep the rain off the table. LOL
  17. NancyL

Gandalf and the sliver of morgul blade

Before the morgul blade faded away, the group noticed there was a sliver missing. And yet, to Frodo, Gandalf makes a fairly big deal about the fact that HE "always suspected that there was a sliver still in the wound." Why him? It's not like Aragorn and/or Sam wouldn't have mentioned the same...
  18. NancyL

About those boulders ….

Hooray! I've gotten into the 100's at last. And I have two short and one long comment/thought/question: Short #1: Boulders … don't you think that the horses would be more frightened by the rumbling/grinding/vibration of boulders than the appearance (but no aroma) of other horses? Would that...
  19. NancyL

Still catching up, but ...

I've only just gotten out of the Barrow Downs and a couple things struck me that you might want to comment on that I haven't seen elsewhere: 1. The way the hobbits were laid out on the slab reminded me of old burial customs where the leader was buried with his servants/wives/horses/goods/etc...
Back