Search results

1. EverBeyondReach (Jordan)

Call for Volunteers!

Hi im Jordan, or Amdiros in the discord. I'm a longtime podcast listener and occasional in-person attendant. I have a BA in Classics, but my main qualification here is I just want to help out, though I am also happy to learn for this project. I expect to help out with the content curation stuff...
  2. EverBeyondReach (Jordan)

Sam's Missing "Pickles" - missing last words from the Council of Elrond

"Sam sat down, blushing and muttering. ‘A nice pickle we have landed ourselves in, Mr. Frodo!’ he said, shaking his head."
  3. EverBeyondReach (Jordan)

Double your pleasure! Double your fun! Let’s have double Annunciations?

This is very fascinating (especially has never having celebrated the Annunciation, I am ill-equipped to recognize such dating, but on to the final question: on footnotes: looking at the footnotes of my electronic edition there are quite a number of footnotes, though most of them are...
  4. EverBeyondReach (Jordan)

Gandalf's Rudeness to Theoden

Alright, I will concede that Gandalf does use fear with Gollum, and definitely fear or force with wormtongue. I'm still unsure if it qualifies as "domination" as I'm not sure where the line is drawn between influence- coersion -domination specifically lies. I will admit the capitalisation of Men...
  5. EverBeyondReach (Jordan)

Misremembering Tolkien in old-er English

So today, while listening to Unfinished Tales, I came to the Curse of Morgoth on Hurin when I suddenly realised something very silly: I misremeber the wording of the curse, specifically my brain rewrites it to sound "older" in pseudo-KJV speak. So when I remember the final sentence (the part...
  6. EverBeyondReach (Jordan)

Rivendell as a place to restore Hope, or How did Aragorn come to be the man we encounter in The Lord of the Ring

And now I'm imagining Aragorn suddenly remembering his old lessons of Glorfindel teaching him how to kill Balrogs, as Gandalf plummets off the bridge of Khazad-dum: "Remember young Estel, should you ever find yourself facing a Balrog, lead it to a high cliff and them topple it into the abyss...
  7. EverBeyondReach (Jordan)

September Silmarillion Art Challenge

links first appeared dead to me too, I was using firefox, so i turned off enhanced tracking protection and they all loaded for me.
  8. EverBeyondReach (Jordan)

Gandalf's Rudeness to Theoden

I agree with Rachel's observation that Flammifer, in their first post, conflates two different instances of Gandalf visiting the Golden Hall. We have the first instance that was discussed in the podcast episode where we only have described that the king 1) would not listen to Gandalf's warnings...
  9. EverBeyondReach (Jordan)

Tolkien's Influence: Dark Lord

I want to here just acknowledge my appreciation for Rob Harding's and Haerangil's statements. Rob's for I think correctly identifying that this is not a religious forum, but a literary one and so regardless of the theological implications of various readings of the biblical texts, I think the...
  10. EverBeyondReach (Jordan)

Tolkien's Influence: Dark Lord

I realize this question may seem silly, or quaint as Tolkien's great influence on the fantasy Genre is well documented, and this may just be me understanding that reality profoundly for the first time, but anyways: What are/Are there literary predecessors to Sauron/Morgoth as the Dark Lord/...
  11. EverBeyondReach (Jordan)

Sam's Missing "Pickles" - missing last words from the Council of Elrond

So, while catching up I was a little bit disturbed by the missing final paragraph of The Council of Elrond, in some recent editions of The Lord of the Rings. So I went looking to see what could be found out, which was harder to google than id hoped but thankfully the 3 editions that I owned were...
Back