Search results

1. E

The Three Elven Rings, Their Source of Power, and the Sorrow of the Elves

Over the last two sessions we have been discussing the three elven rings, and this reminded me of an elven ring discussion that took place in episode 99, in which Corey discussed possible sources of the power of the elven rings (1:31:00, episode 99). In this episode, Corey speculated that it is...
  2. E

Gandalf’s curious assertion about a power of the Great Rings

In Tolkien's writings, it actually seems pretty apparent that all the great rings were originally intended for the elves. "Therefore they hearkened to Sauron, and they learned of him many things, for his knowledge was great. In those days the smiths of Ost-in-Edhil surpassed all that they had...
  3. E

Elrond - One of the Moriquendi?

I like that idea. I've often wondered just how much the silmarils affect the people around them. The only passage that comes to mind is when the elves at the havens refuse to give up the silmaril; I'm paraphrasing, but the passage says that it seems to them that the healing and blessing on their...
  4. E

Gandalf’s origins and prior knowledge of Middle-earth

This is from Unfinished Tales on "The Istari" - hopefully it's helpful... "For it is said indeed that being embodied the Istari had need to learn much anew by slow experience, and though they knew whence they came the memory of the Blessed Realm was to them a vision from afar off, for which...
  5. E

Domination vs Investment

Reading LOTR I have always had difficulty understanding why the power of evil people like Morgoth and Sauron weakens them long-term while the power of good people like Gandalf, and even elves, seem to maintain their "power". But it struck me recently that there is actually a significant...
  6. E

Elrond - One of the Moriquendi?

As I was listening to ExLOTR episode 97, the topic came up of lords in Rivendell who could wield the One Ring. Elrond, unsurprisingly, was one of the ones who could presumably wield the Ring. Elrond is obviously a very powerful and very wise elf, possibly only surpassed in the Third Age by...
  7. E

Nazgul and Their Rings

I was listening to episode 98-99 in ExLOTR, and the power of the Ringwraiths was being discussed. Tolkien said before (I believe it was in letter 246, but I don't remember it being in the text) that the Nazgul were enslaved to their rings, which Sauron was in possession of. My question is...
  8. E

The Aging of Former Ring-bearers

Thanks Tony. I don't know how I missed that. I'll go back and re-listen to it :)
  9. E

The Aging of Former Ring-bearers

Last week you mentioned Gandalf's recognition of Bilbo's failure to age due to possessing the Ring of Power. This got me thinking about the affects of the Ring on possessors after they no longer have the Ring. I've heard people say (and this certainly seems to be the case in the movies) that...
  10. E

Does Aragorn "cloak" his appearance?

Throughout all three books, Aragorn is usually described as looking travel-worn, lean, and not particularly lordly or kingly; but at times people seem to see through that façade and realize that he is in some ways different than he usually appears. I believe this happens when Frodo sees him at...
  11. E

Similarities between Sam...and Beren?

I know this does have anything to do with the current passage in Exploring the Lord of the Rings, but I was reading the Silmarillion, and to me it seemed there was a similarity between Sam and Beren that I was curious about. I was reading through the passage in the Silmarillion in which Thingol...
  12. E

Aragorn's Response to Boromir

Aragorn starts off by saying, "...it was spoken of old among us that it [the Sword that was Broken] should be made again when the Ring, Isildur's Bane, was found. Now you have seen the sword that you have sought, what would you ask? Do you wish for the House of Elendil to return to the Land of...
Back