Search results

1. R

Legolas, light running, and the Fianna of Celtic myth

I don't remeber the name of the one of the Fianna who was so famous for this running, but he was said to be able to run so swiftly that not a blade of grass bent under him.
  2. R

The snow on Caradras

:) Nei, den er den samme. Selv om jeg har tenkte like mye på "Grav deg inn i snøen om nødvedig" (Den er forandret.) Jim: thanks for explaining. I was very confused about the powder snow. The first sounds more like something we would call hail (haggel). While it is usually though of as more icy...
  3. R

The snow on Caradras

I have so far listened up to session 260, and trough much of the time we have spent in the the snow, I have had this nagging question. Why is it presumed that the newfallen snow is powder snow? Now part of this might be down to translation. I am Norwegian, and when we talk of "puddersnø" (the...
  4. R

After rewatching first three episodes...

But RoP is very clearly marked as "based on", not as "Tolkien". It's right there in the opening sequence. That is the main reason that I have much less heated reactions to RoP than to Jackson's movies. It has been very clear for me from the beginning that we are not getting a story that Tolkien...
  5. R

What is the Redhorn Gate?

My Norweagian translation has "Rødhornsporten", which is pretty much a direct translation of Redhorn Gate, given the modern meaning of "gate". "Rødhornsgata" would sound pretty strange in Norwegian.
  6. R

Rope- why is only Sam thinking of it?

Well, Sam wants rope in Moria, and is happy to get rope in Lorien, and that sounds strange if everyone but him brought rope. Or if there were in the pack of the pony: Sam would be the one caring for Bill, which would include taking on and off the packs and tack. He would see it then, if not before.
  7. R

Rope- why is only Sam thinking of it?

I just heard the episode with the discussion of Sam's musings, and I don't recall anyone commenting on this, but if rope is such an important thing to bring, why didn't Aragorn make sure they brought some? Or Gandalf for that. They must be the most experienced travelers in the company and would...
  8. R

Broad-bladed axe and long white knife – #219

I was thinking "bone" for white, whether that is ivory or another type of bone. If so, then the white knife could also be because the woodelves are less sophisticated than the Noldor when it comes to metalwork. I always took the mention of Gandalf's blade to be a call-back to The Hobbit, where...
  9. R

Blank Shield, session 218

It's in "The Steward and the King", not long before the coronation of Aragorn. The description is: "bright ardent like snow in the sun, bearing no charge or device"
  10. R

Brainstorming Themes and Categories

I would suggest using "Place" as a category which would include both geography and location, and probably also a sub-category about where characters are placed in relation to each other - like the discussions leading to the re-enactment of the Nazgûl's charge at the Ford, or the seating...
  11. R

Style Guide Discussion

I can get that. I just come from a country where language is a very serious thing, and what written language you use is a big deal - and not only for the minority language. I'm therefore both used to that the two languages can be used in the same publication, and aware of how important the...
  12. R

Style Guide Discussion

English is not even my native language, and there are others in my situation. Citation would be fairly easy to just decide on a format for, spelling will probably be hardest to change from what you are used to. I also wonder how important it would be to have the same spelling/version of...
  13. R

Call for Volunteers!

Hi, My name is Hege Høibye, but I go mostly by Ragnelle online. I live on the western coast of Norway, by one of the fjords. I have studied history of ideas, and word literature at the University of Oslo, and Drama and theatre at the Collage of Oslo and worked for about 10 years as an oral...
  14. R

The seasons in The Lord of the Rings

I was just listening to the latest session (212) , and the discussion about the seasons both in Bilbo's poem and the Ent-song made me wonder if the seasons play a role in the story as a whole. I have not had time to go through this carefully, and since the main action takes place during a little...
  15. R

'Were' and 'hair' - do they rhyme in Bilbo's poem?

In the recording "Poems and Songs of Middle Earth" this is one of the songs, and to mine (admittedly non-native) ear, "were" and "hair" rhymes just fine there. I was not taught any particular accent when I learned English, though closer to a British English than American (and British spelling)...
  16. R

How To Pack A Mithril Coat

This is how I have my mail-coat (yes, I have one) packed: in a puddle and with a cloth wrapped around it. That is mostly because it is so heavy, and it is not as if it will wrinkle. But too heavy to bother with anything else. The mithril coat is lighter, and with smaller rings, so it might be...
  17. R

Favorite children's book poetry

For me Inger Hagrup's poems for children are among the best, though I don't think many will have heard of them outside Scandinavia, and it is probably first and foremost in Norway they are classics. I am not aware of any translations, which, being poetry, is perhaps not very strange, but it is a...
  18. R

Double your pleasure! Double your fun! Let’s have double Annunciations?

In addition to the 25th of March to be Annunciation, it is traditionally also the date of the Crucifixion. Since Eater is celebrated not according to date, but the phase of the moon, this is not as readily recognisable, but it was a very early tradition that Jesus died on the day he was...
  19. R

Tolkien's Influence: Dark Lord

The literal meaning of the Greek word αποκαλυψις (apocalypsis), is to uncover (like uncovering the head). It is not used in the literal sense in NT writings, but in the sense of making fully known, revelation, disclosure. (According to BDAG - Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament) It is...
  20. R

Unmasked?

The first sentence can be read as meaning just that: that the Barrow-wights inhabbit the bones - they are the thing that stir the bones. How is the bones stired? I read the passive to mean that it is not the shaddow that stirs the bones - or it would be "A shaddow came ... and stirred the...
Back